1950 Desoto door Swap....

Canvalycali

Sometime back I saw a thread on The HAMB about a guy taking a 4dr and making it a 2dr. He bought a set of 2dr doors and did some major cutting and fab work moving the posts and all. It looked good under primer from the pic when he finished but I'll have to say. Man It looked like a lotta work. If your heart wasn't really in it and you didn't have some skills it'd wind up in the parts for sale section.

Sometime back I saw a thread on The HAMB about a guy taking a 4dr and making it a 2dr. He bought a set of 2dr doors and did some major cutting and fab work moving the posts and all. It looked good under primer from the pic when he finished but I'll have to say. Man It looked like a lotta work. If your heart wasn't really in it and you didn't have some skills it'd wind up in the parts for sale section.

Thanks Flatie, I'll have to search the Hamb. I've thought about all the fab work and there's a few possibilities if I get into trouble. I could always cut the top all the way off and make it a topless car. Or I can ride around in a 4 to 2 door conversion that looks ugly :D

I know everybody has different tastes when it comes to old cars. Used to, I wouldn't have thought much of a 4dr. It wasn't untill about 5years ago I sold a 4dr Plymouth to a friend. He took the car and did just a few things to it and turned it into one that you couldn't stop and get gas without someone trying to buy it. He didn't spend much on it at all, it doesn't take much because these cars are pretty cool to begin with. Trust me, buy the Desoto. Drive it for a bit in stock form with the flathead in it. You will see things in a whole new light. If I'm wrong, sell it when you stop to buy gas!

How many 50 Desoto's do ya pass on a daily drive 2 or 4dr?

Thanks Flatie, I'll have to search the Hamb. I've thought about all the fab work and there's a few possibilities if I get into trouble. I could always cut the top all the way off and make it a topless car. Or I can ride around in a 4 to 2 door conversion that looks ugly :D

right now there are at least 4 desotos for sale at the hamb, all complete nd running for under $3000.00 asking price, with a little convicing you can walk away or drive away with a complete running 2 door desoto car under 2,500.00

i bought a four door plymouth and i like it! converting it is alot of work! do you have a good welder and skills? I ask because i chopped my car three years ago and i still havent finsh all the fabbing work! (help me! :)) did you ever sell those whitewalls? man i can use a some right now!!!:)

right now there are at least 4 desotos for sale at the hamb, all complete nd running for under $3000.00 asking price, with a little convicing you can walk away or drive away with a complete running 2 door desoto car under 2,500.00

i bought a four door plymouth and i like it! converting it is alot of work! do you have a good welder and skills? I ask because i chopped my car three years ago and i still havent finsh all the fabbing work! (help me! :)) did you ever sell those whitewalls? man i can use a some right now!!!:)

Time is on my side with this one because I wont be in a hurry and I have a few different welders. I have some welding skills but not anything to brag about. It will be hard to doubt. In threads it looks easy but in real life it will be a challenge. It's all on how you look at it though. If I get some friends over and BBQ and fix one thing well visiting why not :D Good Company. I don't have those WWW anymore but I got a dude in Fresno/Clovis that can hook you up. CHEAP :D. If you want him to call you send me your number. Oh and well your at it would you send me a few of those links from the hamb. I'd like to look at those cars. Thanks

I know everybody has different tastes when it comes to old cars. Used to, I wouldn't have thought much of a 4dr. It wasn't untill about 5years ago I sold a 4dr Plymouth to a friend. He took the car and did just a few things to it and turned it into one that you couldn't stop and get gas without someone trying to buy it. He didn't spend much on it at all, it doesn't take much because these cars are pretty cool to begin with. Trust me, buy the Desoto. Drive it for a bit in stock form with the flathead in it. You will see things in a whole new light. If I'm wrong, sell it when you stop to buy gas!

How many 50 Desoto's do ya pass on a daily drive 2 or 4dr?

Your right, it's all about the feel of the car sometimes. How it makes you feel. I wouldn't mind having that again but this time I want to be able to break even when I decide to sell it. I don't feel like you can do that with 4 door cars and if you can then it's a little harder. I've got a 1951 dodge sitting on some property about 10 miles from my house that I could probably get for 500.00. Again it's a four door, but I wouldn't mind having it. I'm going to be purchasing one soon I just need some help on converting it.

Time is on my side with this one because I wont be in a hurry and I have a few different welders. I have some welding skills but not anything to brag about. It will be hard to doubt. In threads it looks easy but in real life it will be a challenge. It's all on how you look at it though. If I get some friends over and BBQ and fix one thing well visiting why not :D Good Company. I don't have those WWW anymore but I got a dude in Fresno/Clovis that can hook you up. CHEAP :D. If you want him to call you send me your number. Oh and well your at it would you send me a few of those links from the hamb. I'd like to look at those cars. Thanks

here is some info!!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519204&highlight=desoto

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519204&highlight=desoto

49 and 50 DeSoto, Chrysler and big Dodge doors will fit at the front pillar. Those year 2 doors had the B pillar slanted, so the top door frame is slanted as well.

You may be able to cobble in the top door frames on your 4 door to eliminate that.

Then you'll have to move the B pillar back to fit the new doors.

I've seen it done. One I saw had the 2 door conversion only on the driver side, passenger was still in 4 door configuration.

49Royal1.jpg

1949 Chrysler