Repainting firewall

I'm making progress on getting the wiring out and cleaning up the frame.

When the truck was repainted - probably 5 or so years ago, the firewall wasn't repainted.

If I leave it alone, it really won't match the rest of the engine bay. I've cleaned & hit the frame with a rust encapsulator and the engine will look nice & fresh, but the firewall is pretty crusty looking.

The paint color is a pretty close match to Rustoleum Hunter Green, but I don't think I can get a nice finish on that large a flat space.

I could use a flat black and get it to look pretty good. But that won't look stock at all.

I'm not trying to build a show truck...but this is the only time I can really do anything with the firewall.

Here's a shot of where I am now. I'm not done with the frame cleaning, but getting there.

What would you do?

DSCF2562.jpg

I went with a semi-gloss black and I am pleased with it. I cleaned the 'tar' off the inside fenders and did that the same. Then I put about four coats of clear over the black. Because I am leaving the truck 'as found' on the exterior, I cleaned my engine then clear coated it about six times to keep the old cast iron look. It's not a show piece but I like it.

The picture shows the firewall and the engine going in. The blue side areas of the cab are covered by the fenders so all is black, even did the underside of the hood.

post-23-13585355984644_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming

I would use whatever color the exterior is painted with and add some flattener to it to take the shine off and give it that unwaxed, unpolished look yet clean and matched to the exterior.

I would wait until you drop the hemi in to see if you have to cut the firewall I would not go crazy on the frame yet either there is probley going to be some welding involved. Best thing when welding is clean metal to weld to.

I'd check out Harbor Freight. HVLP guns can be a cheap as $14 and compressors are pretty cheap as well and can also be rented. If you have the space, people have used plastic sheeting to make some good temporary spray booths. It's also a good way to get your wife mad at you and if she's mad at you generally you'll have more time to be out in the garage working on the truck.

Hank :D

Here's a shot of where I am now. I'm not done with the frame cleaning, but getting there.What would you do?

Rustoleum Satin Black has served me well on everything from motorcycle frames to cars n trucks. Looks good, a little nicer than flat black and not as over the top as gloss. Easy to touch up and match later on, as batch consistency is pretty high.

I was able to take a good paint cleaner and then Wax and shine up the original paint on my firewall. Looks to me that you could wash all the grease off with a degreaser or oven cleaner then shine it up to look just like the rest of the truck.

Dennis

I'd check out Harbor Freight. HVLP guns can be a cheap as $14 and compressors are pretty cheap as well and can also be rented. If you have the space, people have used plastic sheeting to make some good temporary spray booths. It's also a good way to get your wife mad at you and if she's mad at you generally you'll have more time to be out in the garage working on the truck.

Hank :D

You're a funny guy Hank :D:D:D