casting nrs

The clock shows the time the sand mold was made. There should be N/D cast near it that denotes day or night shift.

Being a Canadian block I`m not sure of the other numbers.

On the US blocks the date is usually between the oil filler-breather hole and the dissy.

Ryan could you post a pic of the other three sides as I would like to compare them to the two English KEW blocks and the late model US block I have. All 25" blocks, and slightly different.

Hi Tony, how are you?

I will take more pics tomorrow when visiting my engine reconditioner and post them. In the mean time hope these will do..

Just a Q: Did my 1950 1/2 ton fargo come out with stainless grils? Or were they an extra option? If I can secure some i like to fit them to my truck..

Just starting my panel work.. hope to have it on the road around Dec this year:eek:

post-6484-13585355881617_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585355882095_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585355882768_thumb.jpg

There is a picture of the Chrysler plat back in the late 40's early 50's. It shows hundreds of engine blocks sitting outside in "Storage", awaiting orders to be shipped to assembly. The casting date on the block might have had no bearing on when the engine was actually assembled and fitted into a vehicle. the caption on the picture mentions 2 years being the average for casting to assembly wait. Not sure if this applied to Canadian assembly, the pic was from detroit.

There has also been posted some pics of engine and transmissions stacked on pallets on the back of a flatbead trailer passing through the streets of detroit on the way from the engine assembly to the vehicle assembly line.

Google Detroit in the Life picture archive.

Oz has right side steering wheel, we do drive on the left side of the road ....well most of us try :o

Just a question, is that exhaust location stock?? Is it an adaptation for Right side drive??
Edited by dontknowitall

Just a question, is that exhaust location stock?? Is it an adaptation for Right side drive??

Yes its stock for RHD trucks in Australia.

Ryan, to my knowledge Australian trucks never came with the 3 stainless steel lower grill pieces. We had chromed steel or painted bars.

I thought so, but I can claim one for mine as it is a Canadian build and imported one.:cool:

Yes its stock for RHD trucks in Australia.

Ryan, to my knowledge Australian trucks never came with the 3 stainless steel lower grill pieces. We had chromed steel or painted bars.

I am still looking for some.. no one seem to have them :(

Ryan and Tony, My 48 is Canadian made and has stainless steel grill bars, I started to restore them just before I left home. Currently in Darwin and its all down hill from here.

Gordon W

By the way Tony or Gordon..

The head was already removed when I got the truck, now it seems I have no thermostate housing and the other top bit that sits on top of the waterpump.

have any one of you got one spare?

post-6484-13585355898705_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585355899112_thumb.jpg

Edited by dontknowitall

There is a picture of the Chrysler plat back in the late 40's early 50's. It shows hundreds of engine blocks sitting outside in "Storage", awaiting orders to be shipped to assembly. The casting date on the block might have had no bearing on when the engine was actually assembled and fitted into a vehicle. the caption on the picture mentions 2 years being the average for casting to assembly wait. Not sure if this applied to Canadian assembly, the pic was from detroit.

There has also been posted some pics of engine and transmissions stacked on pallets on the back of a flatbead trailer passing through the streets of detroit on the way from the engine assembly to the vehicle assembly line.

Google Detroit in the Life picture archive.

agreed, generally the stamping on castings is from the casting date/mold production date and not the assembly date of the final product. This is a pretty general rule for any casting.

so what do the nr on the block and head mean?:confused:

agreed, generally the stamping on castings is from the casting date/mold production date and not the assembly date of the final product. This is a pretty general rule for any casting.

so what do the nr on the block and head mean?:confused:

might be a mold number, or some obscure code? Since castings are created way in advance of assemblies, they will put the production date on them in case there is a problem down the road so they can identify which lot might have issues. If the numbers are raised UP I'd say they are from the casting mold and are not indiciative of anything exept the mold date. If they are engraved IN the casting they MIGHT be put in after casting and refer to some other date an operation was performed on the part.

Hey, thanks for that..:)

might be a mold number, or some obscure code? Since castings are created way in advance of assemblies, they will put the production date on them in case there is a problem down the road so they can identify which lot might have issues. If the numbers are raised UP I'd say they are from the casting mold and are not indiciative of anything exept the mold date. If they are engraved IN the casting they MIGHT be put in after casting and refer to some other date an operation was performed on the part.

just send him an email.. thanks:)

Hi dontknowitall.

I know that I have a spare waterpump but not certain about the housings that you need and I will not be home until October to look,or see the wipers, sorry. Try this link

http://www.dodgeparts.com.au/ Jim Robinson, sure he could help you.

Gordon W

I am after the thermostate housing that bolts to the head, connecting the head to the radiator with the hose, and also after the connection that is mounted on top of the waterpump, in turn that connects to the Thermostate housing.

Dodge Fargo 1950 108 ute with a 218 Canadian longblock

I am after the thermostate housing that bolts to the head, connecting the head to the radiator with the hose, and also after the connection that is mounted on top of the waterpump, in turn that connects to the Thermostate housing.

Dodge Fargo 1950 108 ute with a 218 Canadian longblock

Some months ago Steve told me they were on back order and I think he said they would be ready in July.

Hank:)

I have been dealing with Steve but lately he seems to be a bit confused..

I asked for a set of freezer plugs and he replied with stuff about sparkplugs..:confused:

Some months ago Steve told me they were on back order and I think he said they would be ready in July.

Hank:)