Does the hood rest on top of the radiator

I was doing some measuring last night and figure I'm going to have to move my radiator forward about 4-5 inches. Looks like I have enough room to do so, I'll just need to get a shorter radiator.

When I took off the hood on the truck, it looked like the center of the hood rests on the radiator tank. Does it need that support or will just the two bolts in front & back support the hood enough?

I could make a bracket to replace that support ( whatever radiator I get will probably have side tanks or a smaller top tank ), but want to know if I need to worry about that.

The front of the hood is bolted to the radiator baffle...part # 7-16-69

You don't need to get rid of the baffle to move your radiator.

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/ph_parts/b_7.pdf

post-580-13585355863617_thumb.jpg

Mine rests right on the top tank overflow hose. The hood is kind of flimsy in that area, so the radiator helps keep it from saggin'. The core extends above the front baffle about an inch, rendering that section not very effective, so maybe this is not the original that was in this truck?

post-3764-1358535586461_thumb.jpg

4WIW, the radiator in my '48 is thought to have come out of a much older Pontiac. That radiator had a center fill neck that had been removed and patched over, with the Dodge neck attached in the driver side of the upper tank. The Dodge mounting brackets had been grafted to the sides of the Pontiac, and it fit, barely. That radiator sat high in the engine compartment, with the tank less than an inch lower than the hood.

I would not be surprised if these high sitting radiators were skillfully transplanted from some other vehicle back in the day when it was cheaper to fix stuff than to buy a replacement. I recall an old local garage commercial where these two knuckle-draggers would say "we'll make it fit"...

Mine rests right on the top tank overflow hose. The hood is kind of flimsy in that area, so the radiator helps keep it from saggin'. The core extends above the front baffle about an inch, rendering that section not very effective, so maybe this is not the original that was in this truck?

You're missing the baffle! :eek:

48D

You're missing the baffle! :eek:

48D

The B-3 and B-4 had a different baffle than the B-1 and B-2. The big upper baffle pictured in the parts diagram linked below was only used in the earlier models, and replaced with a smaller one - roughly a 5" x 12" piece of sheet metal, shown in the lower left of my pic below.

I have '51, '52 & '53 parts trucks that I'm planning on cobbling together to make a driver with the T-5. The '52 is the most intact, but it has the B-1 grille, hood & baffle. Does anyone have a picture of the B-3 baffle? I might have to fabricate one, but this project is on standby until after I get the '48 & '49 back in shape.

I have '51, '52 & '53 parts trucks that I'm planning on cobbling together to make a driver with the T-5. The '52 is the most intact, but it has the B-1 grille, hood & baffle. Does anyone have a picture of the B-3 baffle? I might have to fabricate one, but this project is on standby until after I get the '48 & '49 back in shape.

I'm sure hoping you see the part you need here as I would really like to be able to pay you back for the Voltage Regulator you sent me. Chances are if you see it in this photo its been sandblasted (where the photo was taken) and powder-coated black. I also am hoping I can find it in my off-site storage.

Hank :)

post-2934-13585355945989_thumb.jpg

Edited by HanksB3B