Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

New guy with old questions

Hi, Just joined and already have a question someone here knows the answer to. I have been enlisted to help restore a 49 B series 1/2 ton short bed. I have experience on 60's Dodge cars and Chevrolet trucks, but this is a first on a flathead powered tuck. We have access to another 49 truck as a donor but it appears to be a long wheelbase 3/4 ton. If we wanted to, could we transfer everything from the 3/4 ton to the 1/2 ton (except for the obvious like drive shaft and bed). This would include sheet metal, suspension some drive line parts, etc. I really appreciate those with the know to set me straight. Thanks, Bill

Welcome to the Pilothouse Forum. All sheet metal, cab and engine compartment parts on the B1C (3/4 ton - 116 inch wheelbase)) should be interchangeable to the B1B (1/2 ton - 108 inch wheelbase) except drive shaft, running boards, frame, rear suspension and bed floor/sides. Wheels on 3/4 ton are probably 15 inch while 1/2 ton's are usually 16 inch diameter. Good luck on your restore.

Welcome. A lot of your questions can be anwered by using the "search" button at the top of the page but don't be afraid to ask them on the forum. There's a lot of knowledgable people here willing to share. Even our zen masters ask questions. Pilothouse trucks haven't had the limelight some other brands have but were working on that. Parts and pieces are fewer and farther between but the more that get restored, the more that will become availble. Part of their charm. Enjoy the trip. Post up pics as you go.

dave

Thanks for the warm welcome people. Old car/truck folks are the best when it comes to friendly conversation and solid information. I really did not do a thorough search yet, but I will. I just needed a quick answer so I could wave off my friend from purchasing a donor truck that may not be able to donate much, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If everything fits but the bed, running boards, d/s and rear suspension, then it makes it a worthwhile purchase especially since so much is missing from the project truck. It is actually a friends father's truck that was bought new and then passed down, so there is sentimental value attached. otherwise we would start off with a better example. Would be neat if all the 3/4 ton stuff could go on the 1/2 ton frame, though. thanks, Bill

Welcome Bill. Lots of folks to help you out here. Jim gave you a good idea on what will transfer over and what won't. Obviously some of the items listed can be made to fit with some torch work. Good luck.

Also, where are you located? I have a 3/4 with some needs if your friend is willing to part with anything.

Allen

Hey Bill, Glad to have you here.

This is a Youtube channel I've been working on.

http://www.youtube.com/user/194853DodgeTrucks#p/a/u/0/nzSx-IrtOv4

Its a place for any info I can share or find on our trucks. There're videos made by me and others from this site. Good luck with your project and have fun sharing your experience here.:D

48D

Along with what has already been said, the brake drums and wheels are also different. 1/2 ton trucks used 16" wheels with a 4.5" bolt pattern and wheel bolts that thread into the drums. 3/4 ton trucks used 15" wheels with a 5" pattern and studs in the brake drums. Otherwise the drive train and sheet metal is all the same.

Merle