Driver side visor arm

does anyone happen to have a spare driver side visor arm, and mount. The one in my truck, and it has been there as long as I can remember, I think is actually for the passenger side. It was fliped over and mounted on the driver side (there is also a passenger visor.). The problem is in that configuration the arm is mounted upside down, ( it appears the arm was taken out and reinserted in the mount) the visor doesn't swin level, instead it swings down and in from of the driver. It was always a pain, becasue as one drives it slowly drops down in front of the driver. when I drove it in High School I had it tied in place. I wonder if it was installed incorrectly originally or someone put it in later? I drove the truck since the 70s and it was always that way. In any event does anyone have a spare?:)

The other day at a machine shop I learned of a machine that was able to scan and "print" a solid model (that you could hold in your hand) of any part.

Short of having one of the parts (I'm thinking it's the same casting for passenger and drivers side) some accurate profiles in the form of photos (top, side, front, back and bottom) and some measurements might help to

have a limited amount of sand castings made.

I see the bracket that holds the bent rod but I don't understand if it's grooved with an allen head set screw for tension, or is there a nut and spring that does the tensioning. The attached pictures shows how simple it would seem to fabricate. It always comes down to tooling cost and the fact that 500 pairs would be sold over the next five years at best.

I wish there were a part vendor that would step up to the plate and offer these at a reasonable cost ($50.00?) I'd sure like a brand new pair in black.

Getting tired of looking at those holes in my cab when the sun is not in my eyes.

Hank :)

post-2934-13585355711901_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1358535571222_thumb.jpg

Jake: I believe the board is similar or identical to plain brown particle board found at Lowes or Home Depot.

Dolly: I don't think the brackets are steel or iron, some kind of pot metal. The bracket is not rusted, but is more like a patina from its age. They are partially painted red from my parts truck. I think they will buff out to be more shiny and if you want I will buff tonight and reshoot a photo. The rod does appear to be steel.

The one you are being offered is the later painted style.

I have a good chrome drivers side bracket and arm that I would trade for your passenger side. The bracket and arm are sided, as you have figured out. The panel that is the actual sun block is the same for both sides. I attached some pictures of my visor, but I think you would want to keep your cardboard actual visor. PM me and we can exchange address and swap parts.

Eric

post-282-135853557162_thumb.jpg

post-282-135853557166_thumb.jpg

post-282-13585355716861_thumb.jpg

The one you are being offered is the later painted style.

I have a good chrome drivers side bracket and arm that I would trade for your passenger side. The bracket and arm are sided, as you have figured out. The panel that is the actual sun block is the same for both sides. I attached some pictures of my visor, but I think you would want to keep your cardboard actual visor. PM me and we can exchange address and swap parts.

Eric

Eric,

Those are not mine, just some source photos I picked up along the way. What I'm proposing here is for anyone that has an extra (hopefully complete) one to consider sending it to me for possible fabrication. Inevitably it would mean that a bunch of us commit to being part of a group purchase to have a run of these fabricated. If someone knows how to set up a pole to get a count on possible interest by other Pilot-House owners that would be great.

Just a thought,

Hank, I believe Eric was talking about my drivers side visor that I offered to Dollydodge. Mine did clean up with some buffing but obviously not chrome like Eric's. I have a couple of extra driver's side visors so I would be happy to make a loaner. If I get the passenger side, I will also make it a loaner, but if not maybe someone else will. Here's mine cleaned up a bit.

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

Hank, I believe Eric was talking about my drivers side visor that I offered to Dollydodge. Mine did clean up with some buffing but obviously not chrome like Eric's. I have a couple of extra driver's side visors so I would be happy to make a loaner. If I get the passenger side, I will also make it a loaner, but if not maybe someone else will. Here's mine cleaned up a bit.

I've never seen one in person. I'm sure it would simplify matters if I had both sides to work with, but imagine figuring out the difference between the driver side and the passenger side is that it's probably just a mirror image.

The main thing will be to make a 3D model of the casting which I imagine is cast iron (a magnet should tell us that). I'm imagining the end of the bent rod to which the visor is attached might end with a circlip and a spring in a counterbored hole. I think the casting is the same for both the drivers and passenger side with the exception of how it is machined.

The stamped metal to which is attached what looks like an 1/8" thick piece of fiberboard or masonite might be a challenge because a die is invokved, wheras the visor itself is a simple matter of making a router template and cutting them out. They could be padded and upholstered by any local upholstery shop.

We will need someone who can:

3D scanner/printer (fabricates the part by printing layers of plastic) probably a $100,000 piece of equipment. I know someone in the Auto industry in research and development. He works for ____ motors and is building a couple of pilot-house trucks right now (bought my old tailgate and front bed panel). His Dad was a Chrysler engineer, and owns a Miller Tool MT34-B (which I'd probably sacrifice a left handed nut for) anyway...

A sand casting or metal foundry type of company, and I think I saw one the other day in a bad part of town. (that's a good thing)

The bent rod is probably Metal Shop 101.

The stamped metal (I'll call it a sheath) might only take a very basic die and a brake press I think they call it.

The visor, Wood Shop 101.

If you know more about any of the fabrication methods and details, or better still if you are in an industry that can provide any part of the fabrication please contribute to this thread.

Thanks,

P.S. Jim please PM me with an email address so that I can send my mailing address to you.

Edited by HanksB3B

Jim: I tried to send you a private message but is says you don't accept them.

I don't think mine is chrome. I need to look at it again tonight. The only difference I see in yours and mine is the sheet metal part on the arm is much shorter. Also, it looks from your picture that someone welded a spot on the arm. Is that correct? This topic sure got a lot more response that I thought it would. Anyway, let me look at mine at home tonight and I will get back to you. You said in your email you had several drivers side brackets. Are they all the same?

I can 3D print here at my job (engineer y'know) I'd need to model up the part and could print out the parts and supply back the plastic samples for fit/finish and a 3D model out of pro-E that you could take to a machine shop and have them CNC mill out new parts...

PM me if you are interested...

I replied and added you to my friends list. I've never understood how exactly the message board works, but there is a box to check to send e-mails anyway if you're not on a friends list. To me, everyone on the forum I consider a friend, well, maybe save one or two who are walking the fence. I'll send photo options this weekend. Happy 4th.

I can 3D print here at my job (engineer y'know) I'd need to model up the part and could print out the parts and supply back the plastic samples for fit/finish and a 3D model out of pro-E that you could take to a machine shop and have them CNC mill out new parts...

PM me if you are interested...

We are talking pro-bono right. Jim this is step #1. I have the time if you guys would like me to act as a project manager of sorts. Since it's your part you decide. If you ship a complete drivers side and it is determined the passenger side is the same casting (as I suspect) just machined differently, then I'll mail ggdad the part for modeling and move on to researching how we are going to make the other parts.

Thanks,

We are talking pro-bono right. Jim this is step #1. I have the time if you guys would like me to act as a project manager of sorts. Since it's your part you decide. If you ship a complete drivers side and it is determined the passenger side is the same casting (as I suspect) just machined differently, then I'll mail ggdad the part for modeling and move on to researching how we are going to make the other parts.

Thanks,

yah, no skin off my teeth to do it, won't take long. Just buy me a brewski if we ever meet up. Besides I might need a favor back someday! :)

I might have one locally that I could pass to ggdad. My 46 pickup doesn't have them and from what I can tell never did. I suspect it to be some sorta odd fleet truck that was ordered without it to cut costs. I think I have one in my parts pile though

does anyone know where to find that hard board used on the visor? I need some fo rthe visors I have and for door panels on my Ramcharger, same sort of material

It is really more like Temperd Masonite, (peg board with no holes) 4x 8 sheets are around $12. Also works well for Door Panels

Dutch:)

post-411-13585355723361_thumb.jpg

Hi all: I took of the arm last night and it is indeed chrome. I polished it up and it looks amazing. Looks like new. See the pictures. Both arms have a ull gritty dirt film on them, it cleaned right off with soap and water, and I took chrome polish to the arm and shined it up. The inner cardboad that is stappled to the sheet metal that slips over the arm is in great shape, but the outer visor is shot

post-5852-1358535576409_thumb.jpg

post-5852-13585355764809_thumb.jpg

post-5852-135853557655_thumb.jpg