OT .25 Midget Racing OT

Dennis Hemingway

I went to Las Vegas Motor Speedway this last weekend where our Grandson (Mike Jr, 6 years old) took and passed his tests for his rooky USAC Quarter Midget Racing Circuit License.

First Mike Jr had to show them that he known what all of the flags and hand signals mean, he then had to show them he could handle the car, and when he passed all of that he was then let on the track with other drivers. At the end of the day the 2 rookies were judged by the officials on site and the other drivers and passed. In the photos Mike Jr's car is the silver unpainted car, the Blue car is the other rooky and his name is Mike Jr. also.

His car is a Tad Fiser built, USAC Quarter Midget race car with a 120cc engine on pump gas (98 Octaine).

The other racing families at the testing & practice were real nice and were teaching Mike Sr how to tune in the suspension. He had Mike Jr real loose when we got there and by the time we left he was just about right.

To tell you how busy we were I didn't even have a chance to get over to the Super Chevy Show being held on the other side of the Park.

Dennis:cool:

post-12-13585353975628_thumb.jpg

post-12-13585353976205_thumb.jpg

post-12-13585353977023_thumb.jpg

post-12-13585353977855_thumb.jpg

post-12-13585353980698_thumb.jpg

Nice photos,Dennis.I can see where a lot of your time in retirement will be focused.

Really nice to share a common interest within the family.:)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

Jeez things have changed a bit since I ran what was basically a plywood unit body B and S powered mic rod. Our safty equipment was a helmet, some padding, a black pipe roll hoop, ad a big orange loop attachet to the spark plug. was so officials could pull the plug and kill the engine incase of problems of over agressive driving.

The tire technology seems to have changed a bit also to go along withadjustable suspension. Ours were solid axles.

Jeez things have changed a bit.

They have a restrictor plate for each class. They have a kill switch on the dash and at the speeds that they are going now there is no way you could run out a pull the sparkplug cable. Before the officials gave us a plate Mike Jr was clocked running at 62 mph without any plates, as soon as he started to open up the car he was black flaged and we were given the right plate to run, after that his top speed was about 40 mph.

Dennis:eek:

post-12-13585353981294_thumb.jpg

post-12-13585353987333_thumb.jpg

Pretty neat huh....I am amazed at those little guys. I work for DWT...we make the BEST wheels for all sorts of off road racing. 1/4 midget is one...sorry for the plug there...hahaha. But seriously..those little guys really tear it up with those things...I wish my dad could have got me into that. Gotta be such a thrill at that age. Kinda funny to think that some people don't drive as well as those kids do. Have fun and be safe out there.

I've always thought that would be good for my nephews in a few years. Too small to play football living in East Texas. The native Texas boys their own ages would eat them for lunch. Older boy is esp. small for his age, but loves fast cars. Younger is very aggressive, and 1/4 midgets would be a good outlet for him. Daddy's a mechanical engineer. Both grandpas have experience drag racing.

What kinda engine is it? Kart racing is pretty big around here but I've never heard of quarter midgets. I bet 62mph that close to the ground feels much, much faster.

What kinda engine is it? Kart racing is pretty big around here but I've never heard of quarter midgets. I bet 62mph that close to the ground feels much, much faster.

He is running a 120CC Honda Engine. Their are other engine builders, his engine came sealed with a USAC Seal so if the seal is broken be prepared to send it to USAC to have it inspected.

Dennis:eek: