Storm On Long Island

aero3113

Not sure if you guys know about the storm we had on Long Island this past weekend. They say it was the worst one in over 20 years. I came across this photo and thought you guys would enjoy it. Bob T, does this remind you of anything?

http://www.newsday.com/users/user-content/users-storm-photos-1.1812775?image=16

Some more pics

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/li-storm-destruction-aftermath-photos-1.1809953

Edited by aero3113

That same storm caused very high winds up here Saturday and Saturday evening. We have lived down here 17 years this June, I told my wife that I honestly don't remember winds like that since I was stationed in Alaska 200 miles north of the Artic Circle in '70 and '71.

There were trees and power lines down up here over the weekend also, our power went out three times Saturday evening, but thankfully it wasn't out long, as compared to some of the towns higher up in the mountains.

We had record rainfall over the weekend here in the Boston area. My town had about 8 inches, just north of here had 10 inches over a three day span. Places flooded that hadn't flooded before in living memory. I was lucky, no water in the basement. Things are starting to dry out now, most of the rivers have crested. Funny what a difference a couple of days can make. Today it is sunny in the 60's.

Dave

aero3113,

When I clicked on either link the pics were blocked by a subscription form and I found no way to make it go away. Did I miss something?

-Randy

Thats right I forgot. Its a local newspaper(NEWSDAY) and you can only view the website if you order the local cable (CABLEVISION). They just started doing that about a month or two ago. The first link shows what I think is a 1948 Merc hot rod with a tree on it. The second link are pictures of the damage on the island. I will try to post the picture different.

Edited by aero3113

Unfortunately for that guy, the photo certainly does remind me of

something. Hard to tell just how much damage he had, but might

not be as much as the Plymouth got.

When at the kids' house in Kansas City earlier this week, I noticed

that Dale has removed both doors (which had bent tops) and has cut

around most of the top in preparation for removing it once he can get

the car in his garage. He's doing body work and going to paint a

1933 Ford sedan delivery for a guy who's building a rod. Once

that thing is done, the coupe can go in.

Looks like you had your share of storms.....not much fun.

Dear aero3113,

I am truly sorry for the storm damage. This car in the picture in particular.

This does remind me of something. Something I was told back in 1974 when I bought my first 1948 Chrysler Royal. A fellow by the name of Jim Petrellas in Bloomfield, NJ (whom is probably gone by now) owned a 1956 Crown Imperial Limosine - which very few where made. He told me and my buddy (John whom owned a 1947 Chrysler Windsor at the time) - "never park your old car under a tree or even close to one" "they are the bane of antique car collectors".

I have followed his advise for 36 years. I only share this to prevent future catastrophies in our hobby not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Tom Skinner

Huntersville, NC

Holy Smokes Aero, hope all is getting better after the storm, hopefully you get driving weather next........Fred

The past couple of days have been in the mid to high 60's :D. I guess all the bad weather blew away with the storm. GREAT driving weather :)

Looks like an insurance scam. Did he drive that car into the tree? Why would it be parked on the grass? Just kidding but it is NJ isn't it? Eric

It is Long Island NY. I was thinking the same thing, I told my wife it looks like an insurance scam. Why would he have that nice car out in the worst storm in 20 years, parked on the grass under a tree? It looks like he does care about the car though, because he put plastic over the window.

The Plastic I hope was put on after the crash. Long Island, New Jersey, all the same to us here in the heart land , real America. East of the Missisippi is all skyscrapers and fast talking con men trying to sell us fancy stuff with big words that we really don't need. You might have your Ivy league and your League of nations but we have dirt, good dirt good clean American Dirt by golly!! :) Eric ( Hey isn't NJ the Garden State?)