Modifying Air filter..anyone have pics?

Dan Babb

I would like to keep the base as is, but would like to get a regular air filter to drop inside of it. I don't want to modify the top half of the air cleaner either either. Just in case I ever want to go back to the original setup, I don't want to mess it up.

I have some ideas on how to accomplish this, but would like to see some pictures if anyone else has done this.

My idea:

make base out of sheet metal that will drop inside the current housing. Silicone it in place so air can't get around it.

Then buy a filter that will drop inside - but leave room for air to get through it. TBuy a top made for that filter and put it on (after painting it black to match the rest of the housing.

I don't know if this is going to be a wild goose chase ( don't know if they make a round filter that will fit inside the base).

go over to the car board and look up Normscoupe webpage. He has a how to for the car style and a part numbeer for the element. If the truck uses a similar style filter your good to go, if your filter is different at least the process will get you started.

Dan:

Attached are two pictures of the paper air filter that I am currently using on my 39 Desoto that stil luses the stock factory oil bath air cleaner housing.

I am using a NAPA paper filter

Hope this might help you,

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

post-3269-13585351755597_thumb.jpg

post-3269-13585351755965_thumb.jpg

I modified mine, but there's no going back. My upper section was bad anyway. It had been sitting in the back of the truck and was full of water, which rusted out the guts. I cut off the bottom and gutted out the steel wool filter media. I then cut out a donut shaped piece of sheet metal to fill in the bottom and make it flat. And I found a filter element that would fit into the housing. It's working fine for me and it still looks like the original filter when it's all together.

P1140192.jpg

P1140191.jpg

P5180553.jpg

I followed Merle's advice and converted mine last winter. Looks and works great. Slightly different oil bath canister than his, but I'm sure there's a paper filter match for every type canister. I took my canister to NAPA and they helped me find the right OD and height filter.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=4855

Good luck.

Dan,

I have found fhaf there are at least three sizes of filters used on our flatheads. The largest of these has a support strut that goes down the driver's side to a head bolt. I have this type on my own truck.

The reason I mention this is that each size and style of air cleaner base will require a different size paper element. Don't read someone else's post on this subject and go out and buy your air filter element. First cut your old guts out, but leave at least one inch of metal below the lid to hide the paper filter from being visible. I used a whiz wheel and it took at least one minute to cut the thing off.

My new paper filter came from NAPA and is about six or sevewn inches tall. If you have this type filter, a NAPA #46184 works just fine. This is the largest type air cleaner, so of course it accepts the largest paper filter.

I used self-adhefring foam tape half an inch thick, and made a gasket on both the top and bottom of this element, so that no air can possibly leak past either end, where it contacts the metal. Fits nice and tight now, and doesn't show when the lid is on . I like.

Good Luck :mad:

Mario, I had forgotten just how great your website blog is. Its an excellent show & tell resource for many of us in various stages of restoration with logical pros and cons. Well done. I have bookmarked it for future reference on my B3 project. Do you still have your spare side mount, and a photo of the Jeep CJ bracket?