Have Truck Have Questions

Hello,

I finally took the plunge and bought a pilothouse. It is a 1950 B-2-C 116. The serial number 85507556 tells me it was a California truck. Now, comes the questions. The engine does not appear to be original to the truck. The serial number is D46*I23574. This makes it a 1953 230ci engine for a dodge car. The head has a 1951 date stamp. Would this have been a possible dealer replacement? How could I find out? Is there anyway other than getting the build cards to know if the original engine was a 230ci or the smaller 216ci?

There are many parts missing and the fun of collecting them is just starting. I plan to post my restoration progress on here as I go along. So a question for anyone reading this, should I hunt down a 1950 motor or work with the one I have? If I wanted to take the truck to a show how much of hit would it be?

Thank you,

Jerry

P.S. Here is a picture of the truck after I bought it.

B2C50-1.jpg

Welcome Jerry. Why are you so pigheaded ?;)

Your truck would have left the factory with a 218. 230's weren't used in the trucks except for the 1 tons.

Your truck looks pretty straight in the photos. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Oh yeah.......Screw the judges....the 230 has more power.

Where are you located ?

If I wanted to take the truck to a show how much of hit would it be?

Welcome to the forum......where EVERY Pilothouse is a big hit!:D

48D

Thanks for the replies. The frame is in great shape. Under the hood is a mess. It has a few cancer spots, but not too many. I am in sunny Alamogordo, New Mexico, so rust is not as damaging for most vehicles here.

I have a lot to do before it can be shown, but it is something that interests me. I know that a dodge is not a common sight at shows, but should I be trying to stay as close to stock as possible, like keeping it 6 volts and finding an original 1950 truck block and head?

I can't wait to get started and really start picking the brains of fellow pilothouse owners.

Jerry

Jerry,

That long box says you have either a 1/2 ton express or a 3/4 ton. Either way it looks like a nice truck to start on. Don't know where you live, but here in the East, units like this with good sheet metal - floors, front and rear fenders, etc. - are quite hard to find.

Those flathead motors were used up through 56 and only a very seasoned MoPar nut will ever spot that engine code. Even the internal parts interchange to an amazing degree.

You've come to a fine forum with lots of willing helpers. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

post-63-13585349747012_thumb.jpg

post-63-13585349748856_thumb.jpg

Engine swaps were basic maintainence back in the day. 50K was a lot of miles back when oil was nondetergent, oilfilters were optional and roads were dirt. And with the interchangability of these engines, finding a low milege wreck from the junkyard, made exchanging easier, cheaper. and faster than a rebuild. The head casting date is likely a casting date and not necessarily a build date, so the head could be from a 51 or later engine, again finding a good one was easier then machining one that may have been warped or cracked.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your project. I have a 230 from a 56 in my 46 Plymouth coupe, they are a big improvement over the 218.

Welcome PH! Nice truck to start with-really nice. You'll find the truck guys are a lot less judgemental than some of the car guys are. My 52 is actually a '49 with a conglomeration of parts that it accumulated before I got it over a dozen yrs ago. She's all MoPar and all PH with the exception of the 13speed shift knob! Starting to see more and more MoPars at cruises and shows. Good luck w your project. Mike