1936 Plymouth P2 Rear Wheel Cylinders

bighammer48

Guys,

Last Spring, I put an NOS MOPAR Right rear wheel cylinder on my Plymouth, and had the left rear re-sleeved. The system was drained and filled with modern DOT brake fluid and bled. There was all new lines put on with the frame-off restore. I drove the car all Summer with no brake problems. I went to my Winter garage(humidity controlled) last weekend to start it up and let it warm up good. I spotted dripping inside the right rear wheel. The brake pedal goes to the floor, so I can only assume that the RR cylinder is shot. Questions: should a brand new NOS wheel cylinder be gone already? What next? Help!

Did you install it with the 1930's rubber parts inside it? If so I would say its quite possible that its gone already. Hopefully you can get buy with just a rebuild on that wheel cylinder

I would suspect that the problem is the "O" in "NOS" ("New Old Stock"). The part may never have been used (i.e. "New") but, based on the date it was made, it is still old and probably the rubber parts have deteriorated from age. Maybe all you need is a rebuild of the wheel cylinder with new parts?

Jim Yergin

Bighammer:

I have owned several '36 plymouths and still drive my touring sedan all the time.

What type of DOT fluid did you use? If you did use a NOS cylinder it may be as the others have said, they need to be stripped and cleaned and have new cups installed in them . I've made the same mistake in the past and found out that the old storage goop they used to put in the NOS brake parts had dried out and actually drawn moisture causing pitting in the cylinder.

I use DOT 5 or silicone fluid in all of the restorations I do. Contrary to popular wisdom silicone is a vastly superior fluid IF you completely remove ANY trace of the old alcohol based fluids from the system. That means you must replace the brake lines - not doing so is blatantly stupid anyway-and boil out the remaining components that are used. Wiping out the old cylinders or even wahing them out with alcohol will not remove all traces of the original contamination from the old fluid which actually penetrates the pores in the cast iron . I have done many brake rebuilds on a large variety of cars over a period in excess of 30 years( silicone fluid came out in the 70's) using dot5 fluid and had great success. Never a complaint from anyone about brake problems.

Please let me know if there's anything I can help you with on your '36 they are my specialty!

Evan

I would suspect that the problem is the "O" in "NOS" ("New Old Stock"). The part may never have been used (i.e. "New") but, based on the date it was made, it is still old and probably the rubber parts have deteriorated from age. Maybe all you need is a rebuild of the wheel cylinder with new parts?

Jim Yergin

What he said.

Thanks for all of the info. I thorougly inspected the NOS cylinder berfore installing it. It was clean as a whistle. Nevertheless, I wiped it out with FREON TF degreaser before installing it. I just bought a brandy new kit from Andy Bernbaum, and I'm going to clean, hone and install the kit and see what happens. I'm guessing the old rubber got eaten up. I really appreciate all of your input.

Evan,

Post your email address and we can exchange pictures of our 36's.

Mike

I also have a '48 D24 Sedan that I'm restoring. I just completed the interior and am starting on the body. Not much to do except prep for painting. The body is super solid -- no rust holes anywhere that I can find, even the floors are clean.

• 7 years later...

Does anyone know of a replacement part number for the 36 Plym rear cylinders?