water pump - kit or rebuilt

stevenelle

How difficult is it to install a water pump kit into an old core? The savings is about $30 when compared to buying a rebuilt water pump. But not sure if it can be done without specialized equipment.

This one one only lasted about 3 years before it started leaking. That's only about 6000 miles. I may have let the grease go dry which may have lead to the premature wear of the bushing. Hard to remember to grease those things until they start to make noise.

Since you seem to forget to grease the pump, why not buy one that doesn't require constant greasing. JC Whitney has them for our cars and so does a few other places. I've had the one from JC Whitney since my engine rebuild in 1998 on the car. Think I only paid about $50 for it with the shipping back then.

Ooops, just realized you are on the truck side. However, the engines are the same.

When I rebuilt my engine I got a water pump rebuild kit. When I took it apart I didn't see the roll pin that locks the bushing in place, so when I pressed it out it broke out a small piece of the housing. I was able to salvage it by drilling another hole in a different place to lock the new bushing in place. However, once I got it all together and running I found that my newly rebuilt water pump leaked at the shaft seal. So I ended up buying a new pump anyway.

I say don't bother with rebuilding them. Just get a new one.

Merle

Norm, do you have the JC Whitney part number for your water pump. I have a late 1952 B3B 218 ci engine that suppssedly rebuilt in 2001 by previous owner. I am putting the truck back together and noticed that my water pump (states rebuilt on 2001 invoice) is for an external bypass engine, probably a 1950 B1B or 1951 B2B engine. I need an internal bypass water pump that has the additional port near water distribution tube opening.

Last year Merle posted a Napa part NWP55713 for an internal bypass water pump but I have looked on Napa Online and they do not have that unit in stock, and have substituted a TFW42554 water pump for $70. Can anyone confirm the NWP is no longer available in your markets, or additional comments on the TFW model.

Thanks, Jim in Dallas

The only difference between an internal and external by-pass water pump is the backing plate on the water pump. This backing plate bolts to the back of the pump and is not really a part of the pump. If a new pump has the incorrect backing plate simply re-use the backing plate from your existing pump.

Don there is one other difference. I have seen some internal bypass pumps that don't have the 2 bolt holes on top to mount the external bypass housing. I suppose maybe you could drill and tap for the two holes though. Be interesting to see what I end up with from napa for the pump I ordered.

Young Ed-if you don't get what you need-let me know. I purchased both types of pumps from NAPA last year (I only kept the correct one with the external bypass). I can dig through paperwork and see if I can come up with a p/n for you-but I do know that we found the right one by looking at the picture on their screen. Mike