Setting carb float

Jim Yergin

I installed a replacement float needle valve in my carb and it seems to have corrected the problem of the gas flow not shutting off. But now I think the float level needs to be set. I fooled with it when I was trying to get the car to run with the bad valve. Does anyone have any tips on how to set the float level? What are the symptoms of having it either too low or too high?

Thanks.

Jim Yergin

You need a way to measure the distance from the top of the float to the edge of the bowl. Usually measured by putting a straight edge across the carb and measuring between that and the float. Symptoms of too high are easier flooding and a more likelyhood of the engine boiling extra gas into the intake when shutoff hot. I had mine too low and under heavy acceleration on the freeway it seemed to surge or kinda stall out.

There should be a card board do hicky facsimile of the gauge pictured aboce in the rebuild kit. I recommend that you set it a bit lower than factory spec. as today's gas seems to expand more from heat causing perculation problems.

I usually eyeball about 1/8th inch.