Windshield Rubber - Roberts vs Bernbaum

Jim Gaspard

Last year I started buying various rubber pieces from Bernbaum for replacements on both my frame-off and my driver, both B3B's. Three weeks ago I decided to go ahead and replace my driver glass where the rubber was hard and brittle and leaking like a sieve. After several hours of trying myself to get the center rear cab glass in, I gave up and took it to a local shop that specializes in vintage cars/trucks.

The operator called back and said the rubber for the front windows did not fit well. The rubber front lip barely covered the metal and he said it would not keep out water. I ordered another front window rubber kit from Roberts Motor and they got it to me in five days.

So that you do not make the same mistake, I took photos each front window rubber so you can see the difference. The left piece is Roberts Motors and the right piece is Bernbaum. I know there are other sources for rubber like Steele, but the Steele Rubber tends to be pricey. I called Bernbaum to see if I could return their clearly bad fitting rubber and they seemed offended I would ask. Not only am I out the cost of the Bernbaum rubber, but the glass shop charged another $15 to pull out and replace the Bernbaum rubber. To give Bernbaum some credit, their rear cab rubber fit ok, center and two corners. Draw your own conclusions.

post-105-13585348286364_thumb.jpg

post-105-13585348286659_thumb.jpg

post-105-13585348286974_thumb.jpg

I've mainly purchased some wheel cylinders from Bernbaum over the last

few years. They seemed to work OK. And others say they have gotten

certain satisfactory things there also. But their rubber items, at least for

windows, have not been good. A very few have been able to use them,

many others were not able to return them either, and ended up buying

better stuff elsewhere.

having been active on this forum for about 7 or 8 years, I would say that for every good comment regarding Burned bumm, there has to be 25 negative ones. How cum we don;t buy anything on ebay if the sellers feedback is less that 95% positive, but people still give this guy with what would be a 25% postive feed back. EVER wonder why his stuff is never on EBAY. Wonder what his real feed back score would be probably lower that our Esteemed National Leader.