Original equipment/operation questions

Mr.Dids

Couple questions based on pictures below:

Is proper light operation for the parking lights to go off when headlights are on? This is how mine works and based on the switch/wire orientation it appears correct but is not how most "modern" cars work so I'm just curious.

I don't have a pic handy of the originals but my tailgate had two red reflectors, probably 3" or so in diameter bolted to the bottom of the tailgate in the area where you may be able to see the holes. Where these original equipment or possibly added later?

Is the mirror pictured OE or added later? Also, should there be an inside rearview mirror or were these optional? My truck only has a driver's side sunvisor which I've learned is probably correct but I don't know about mirrors. There doesn't appear to be any provisions for mounting one.

post-7946-0-02503200-1472313362_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-35529500-1472313377_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-48848200-1472313400_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-18919900-1472313418_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-18010400-1472313435_thumb.jpg

Parking lights sounds correct. I would say the reflectors and mirror were added later. The factory outside mirrors went on the door hinges. There is an optional interior mirror that goes on the center windshield bar. GGDad created a tool to stamp the square dent in there for the nut that the mirror arm attaches to. 

• Like 1

Modern cars are regulated by FMVSS for uniform operation; before they were enacted, car companies followed some SAE standards but ultimately did whatever they wanted.  The logic was that the parking lights were used when the vehicle was parked, the headlights were used when the vehicle was in motion, so both were not needed simultaneously.

The tailgate reflectors were not a factory option, but many truck owners added them.  There were simple flat reflectors available, and then there were the fancy jewel reflectors that many hot rodders covet.  

il_340x270.954135874_oosx.jpg

As far as optional equipment, the arm rests and sun visors could be ordered in cab package trim upgrades, the interior and passenger rearview mirrors and taillight were optional, and if you wanted turn signals, a heater and a radio, these were dealer installed options that had equivalent kits available at places like Western Auto, Sears and Roebuck and Montgomery Wards :cool:

• Like 3