Drum brakes

Go to solution Solved by 55 Fargo,

Got the new front brake cylinders in and new shoes on bought a panel truck this summer it's getting a Dakota frame swap and took the good drums off it . New wheel seals ,king pins that I bought awhile back repack the bearings .Bleed all the brakes adjusted the brakes as per service manual .Snow is finally gone and the streets are dry enough so I took her out for a test drive ,stops and steers great I will put another 30 miles on her then recheck the brake drag and might have to readjust the brakes . I am still wanting to do a rear axle gear ratio swap 3:55.??? Some local guys think they might have a carrier assembly out of a car that might work ,it's my understanding that my truck axle is 10 spline on the pinion spider gears and I need to check as this will be an issue .If anyone has done this please let me know what vehicle will work ,I was just wanting to swap the ratio not a complete axle, wanting to keep it original.

Wow Fargo 52, you got more accomplished in one paragraph than I was able to accomplish in the "Factory Brake Job" thread. I also have king pins and tie rod ends I bought a long time ago. I also want to go with a 354 diff from an old Chrysler. I'd want to wait till next fall. 

Running good. Hope the same for you,

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

Bought three Dodge/Fargos from a guy one day and that is where my next project came from it's not PilotHouse web site friendly so I started a build thread on HAMB, I need a rear taillight assembly if you see one .

I didn't see anything on your HAMB build that was unfriendly for this site. We've got any number of modified, customized vehicles here. It's true that the majority tend to stay fairly close to original. We've got frame swaps, drivetrain swaps and body mods here as well. I joined the HAMB a while ago, just so I could see the build pics that non members can't.

• 3 years later...
On ‎2014‎-‎04‎-‎08 at 7:55 PM, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

hey, in Manitoba, those max drum measurements will be .060 over, so they can be machined 30 thou over for a max of 60 thou measurement.

Phone tomorrow to Norm Dumontier at Mid Canada Suspension 1-204-475-3399, he will answer your questions and be able to supply you the wheel cyls you need.....good luck, us Manitoba Canucks need to stick together.....LOL

just got my 49 Fargo from Manitoba, I'm near Niagara Falls, going to be pulling the brakes apart and replacing things very soon 

1 hour ago, Rebar1968 said:

just got my 49 Fargo from Manitoba, I'm near Niagara Falls, going to be pulling the brakes apart and replacing things very soon 

Kool, look for NOS wheel cyls, or have your MC and wheel cyls re-sleeved, and new linings on shoes and machine drums if necessary.

I bought a master cyl from Rock Auto of all places and its good...

Need to talk Fargo or find parts contact timkingsbury on this forum, he lives in Campbellville Ontario, near Milton.......

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

On 4/7/2014 at 8:28 PM, fargo52 said:

I can only get a listing for Raybestos WC3596 and they are $140 each

wc 17789  is a non stepped cylinder which works on  half tons  (fronts)  . Last one I bought was about $50.   It works on many early passenger cars too.