Talk about a $$$$$$$$$$$$$ mopar!!

thedahmer

for STOCK????? seems a little HIGH-- any thoughts?'

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/2/7/85554427.htm

It seems like a nice ride a coupe is hard to find, I agree wit hyou it will be very hard to get that kind of money. but if he can find a buyer, I will be able to sell my little hoopty for more! MKSTR!

:cool:

Two things I noticed. 1. It certainly appears nice. 2. Is being sold by a dealer. Seems a bit overpriced nonetheless.

These old cars are kind of like houses. Those high prices seem nice if you are selling. But they sure make it hard to buy the next car or house. Glad I bought my car in the 70s.....I don't think I could afford to buy it today.

I always liked the look of the big butt coupes!

had the chance to buy a red 49 first series 3-window coupe back in the late 80s for $500. The mice had gotten to the interior but the body was good.

Should have done it, but did not have room! It ended up being purchased by someone in the Omaha area. Probably in a garage somwhere halfway on its way to becoming a streetrod.

A freind of mine locally has a Chrysler Royal Business coupe, All original!

Guest Nile Limbaugh

A couple of years ago I could have had a 1941 Chrysler Saratoga (8 cylinder!) in very nice original condition for 11,000. The brakes needed rebuilding and the several year old repaint was beginning to bubble in a few spots. A few of the plastic dash pieces were junk. But the engine ran great, overdrive worked, a nice car to build up. I just didn't want to spend that much. I could have cherried it out for another 6,000 with somebody else doing most of the work. And this guy thinks the DeSoto is worth how much? Hah.

The owner has spent lots of money on this car. My client spent somewhere around $40K for me to restore his '47 sedan. It cost $3K to chrome the grille and a few other pieces. Quality restored cars are worth high prices. If a guy wants into the hobby with a quality car and very little or no work a car like this is a great way to go.

I'd put that car at about $15' date='000. It's a nice car but:

1) Left door doesn't line up right at the fender and rear top of the post. It could be ajar though.

2) Right side cowl stainless is not aligned with the door stainless, and that door looks like it's shut completely.

3) Missing right rear fender support

4) May be a bad spot in the picture but on the right side of the hood there is what looks like a nice scratch just above the hood stainless.

5) The thermostat housing has rust on it.

6) The firewall in the engine compartment looks like the paint is a little thin in spots.

7) Spark plug wires are OLD. Check out the rear three. Two of those are full of dirt.

8) Rust on top of the radiator on one side.

This car may have been restored nicely, but it was long ago, not recent. I didn't check out the interior. Based on the outside and the engine compartment though, it probably shows wear and tear too. For $37,500 the car had better be showroom perfect.[/quote']

9) No weatherstripping in the channel around the trunk.

10)Trunk carpet stained and loose.

Right on about the resto or building costs. I stopped in to visit a friend who owns a hot rod shop a few days ago. He said he just finished building this '32 or thereabouts Chevy streetrod for a local fellow at a cost of $83 to $85,000. Now the guy is trying to sell it for $55,000. Where's the logic? I don't know WHY the man is trying to sell, but he offered it to one of my customers for that $55 figure. Can you write such a loss off your taxes?

In all fairness..some of these models the rubber seal affixed to the deck lid not the body...as the trunk itself is not pictured..it very well could be in place...

Over all this is one nice car...the chrome appears to be extremely nice and that is a small fortune on items as large as the DeSoto has...yet in the given market it is over priced. On the other hand if this guy deals in cars he has alternate means to finiance this for a prospective buyer and as such could make the car affordable through a payment plan over time...to each his own...

Point number two in the scheme of things..what type body work was required and how was it completed..I would INSIST on detailed photographs of a car that is represented by that high an asking price...photos of work being accomplised is very much a selling point later...the man offered no arguement paying my price after seeing the photos when I sold my Porsche years ago. Sometimes cars are just flashed for flipping..those sccare me...

A cream colored DeSoto just like the one in the ad sold at the R+M auction about a year ago for $22,000 cdn or just under 20G's (US). It was in excellent restored condition and was bought by a dealer for resale. On that day a very similar car (and condition) was worth just about 20 grand.