1/2 or 3/4 ton??? ID woes..

Guest firstsigns

Guest firstsigns

Hi all- new to the group here, new to Dodges. My dad's always had older trucks around, and I've continued in the same path.

Just picked up a 51 dodge b-3-b this past Sunday and LOVE it. At least that's what I thought it was...

Only now i've hit a wall. The title from Washington states it's a '51, and gives a serial number that i'm not finding anywhere on the truck. The door post plate is gone, and the frame number in front of the left wheel is telling me something far different from what I though I had. I picked it up from a guy who bought it from washington, drove it down here, and never transferred it.

The serial tells me it's a '50 3/4 ton. But my truck has the 108" wheelbase!?

Very confused. I'm doing brakework to it, so it's not quite roadworthy yet, but I plan to use this for my shop truck here in central california and will need to get a proper title. But I need to correctly ID it first.

Here's my #'s on the truck:

serial on front of frame- 85508049

engine #- D56-24597

# on frame behind rear left wheel- 1269992? what is this?

Thank you all- i've been reading through lots of these posts, and there is such a wealth of knowledge here. It's really incredible.

Welcome

You are correct. That serial # would be a '50 B2C according to http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php However, that would make it a 116" wheel base. I suppose it's possible that someone shortened a 3/4 ton frame to use with a 1/2 ton bed. There's not much difference between the two models other than that. What size tires on on it? 15" or 16". The 1/2 ton trucks used 16 inchers, whereas the 3/4 ton trucks used 15 inch rims. Otherwise the drive train was the same.

Also, you have a later model Dodge car engine in it (mid 50's maybe? I don't know my car model #'s very well). I wonder if someone built a truck out of available parts. What's the VIN on your title? Does it match up to a '51 1/2 ton? If so I'd get a replacement data tag from Vintage Powerwagons http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/ and stamp in the number on your title and go with it.

Good luck with it. Any photos?

Merle

Guest firstsigns

Thanks Merle. I'll keep looking into that. It does have 15" rims- but I don't know if they're stock.

I do have some photos- trying to figure out how to include them...

The VIN on the title is a # that doesn't seem to match anything. it's T30620952. I bought the truck beforedoing my research. Don't really know Dodges that well, so I didn't know what to look for.

Were there any other differences between the 1/2 ton and 3/4? Suspension only? or gearing as well? It's a 4 speed, which I though wasn't available until 51- but i'm probably wrong.

T306etc is the engine #. Cars and trucks were commonly titled by that. Yours has a replacement engine so it doesn't match anymore. 4spds were optional back in the 40s. Dads 40 plymouth pickup had one.

The 4 speed trans was an option all along, I believe.

The T306... number is an engine number. It's probably the original engine number, which would be right for a '51 1/2 ton. As I understand it, some states used the engine number as the Serial number or VIN when they were first titled.

The 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks used the same drive train. The 3/4 ton truck would have heavier springs only. And as previously stated would have a longer frame, although in the later Pilot-House years the 116" wheel base was available for the 1/2 ton version.

I would highly reccomend going to your local book store (or Amazon.com) and getting this book. It'll tell you all you need to know about these trucks.

Book.jpg

Guest firstsigns

Aha. Odd to title a vehicle by an changeable engine number, but I can see why maybe they did that- complications finding out the actual serial!

How can I post a picture up here? I don't have it on the web anywhere and it's asking for a URL to post it? Can I just upload from my hard drive?

Here's the Pilothouse link that breaks out some of the numbers.

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/vin/model.htm

Front frame number definitely is a 1950 B2C 116 built in California. But front frame and rear frame numbers should be the same.

Guest firstsigns
Here's the Pilothouse link that breaks out some of the numbers.

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/vin/model.htm

Front frame number definitely is a 1950 B2C 116 built in California. But front frame and rear frame numbers should be the same.

wondering if maybe it is a hybrid with the rear end of another frame to shorten it to a 1/2 ton bed... I'll have to climb under again and inspect for welds because it's definitely 108" wheelbase. I just don't know what those #'s on the rear of the frame would be to. It could be a late model I guess. Those #'s aren't showing on any #ID sites that i've found so far.

Guest firstsigns

-Ok. Now i'm thoroughly confused. I just re-measured the wheelbase center to center of the spindles and I got 112". Last night with my wheel off and the steering turned to left (rookie mistake) I got the 108. Just checked again and it's 112. I climbed under and there's NO welding or cutting on the frame. Now i'm lost. 112"??? I checked both sides and it shows the same.

Another point- don't know if it makes a difference with different models- there's 9 leaf springs in the back.

There are two methods for getting photos in your posts.

You can insert a link to the photo that is stored on another web site such as Photobucket or the like (many will work, Photobucket is just the one that I use). Or you can upload photos from your hard drive.

In the message composure box there are tool buttons at the top. The paper clip lookin' one is for attaching directly from your 'puter. There is a size limitation on these, so you may need to resize the photos if the file size is too large. They will appear like Thumbnails that can be opened in another window or tab for viewing. (like at the bottom of this post). Or you can click on the yellow "picture" button and copy and paste the link to your photo. Those will appear as the larger photos like this.

PhotoAttachment.jpg

post-20-1358534685296_thumb.jpg

Guest firstsigns

Thanks- I love it too. And it's actually functional! It's got a tool box mounted on the other side, and the ammo box just behind the driver's door is bolted down. Might take that off, but it adds to the character for now. The "custom" roll cage has got to go though. Apparently it was a ranch truck up in Washington and was used for hunting. I think they had spotlights mounted on the roll bar at one time. And the welds are terrible. Same with the bumper- they added two support beams from the corner of the bumper to the top of the bed. Lousy welds. But I suppose it helps with the support for now.

Guest firstsigns

I'd like to see how your truck is moving along. I have plans for this one as well to rat it a little. We'll see. The height it's at now is actually growing on me. I don't want to do any body mods- just keep that as stock as possible. Maybe throw some whitewalls on and drop the rear a little. Any suggestions?

Here's a photo of my last shop truck- VW's were my passion before. Dodge is growing on me really fast though. Is it sacreligious to post photos of non-Dodge trucks here? I'm sure i'll find out...

4_Side_Shot_Passenger_Side.jpg

Cool... I like the VW, it has character.

Are you sure that truck is a 108" wheel base 1/2 ton? Judging by the space between the back of the cab and the rear fender it looks like it may be a 116" 3/4 ton truck. It's hard to tell from just a couple of photos, but that's how it appears to me.

Also, the nose is '48-'50 but the door is "51-'53. What's the dash look like? This is the dash layout of the '48-'50 trucks.

Sale-Photo-3.jpg

The '51-'53 dashes were a little different. I don't have a pic of that dash.

There is definately something odd here. It's not uncommon for the titled "Year" to be incorrect. My '50 was titled as a '51 too.

My truck currently is basically a pile of accumulated leftovers and a dream. Between Dad and I we have 4 39-47 mopar trucks and then 3 parts trucks. Plus various other pieces purchased individually. Check out the my own rat rod post for some pics of my plans.

Guest firstsigns

not too sure on the wheelbase now. I measured again today and it's 112"? Center to center on the spindles. Last night when I measured it at 108" the left wheel was turned slightly to the left (rookie).

112 doesn't match anything, though does it?

My dash photo-

3.jpg

I'm thinking the serial number on your frame is correct. I think you do have a '50 3/4 ton truck with a car engine. (That engine may actually be a 230 CID, so it's a keeper unless you want originality)

The driver's door must have been replaced at one time. The '48-'50 door has a crease that goes almost the full length of the door, whereas the crease on the '51-53 doors only goes half way.

This is my '50 B2C 3/4 ton truck shortly after it arrived home.

P1010200.jpg

Looking at the pics of your truck it looks like the front end sits low and the wheel appears to be setting toward the back of the opening. What type of front suspension is under there? Maybe someone did a front clip upgrade and messed up the wheel base by a few inches?

The original front suspension is a solid axle with leaf springs.

PA220553.jpg

Guest firstsigns

I hadn't even noticed the door difference- the driver's side crease stops short, while my passenger door crease goes all the way back. Here's a photo of that side-

2.jpg

I imagine the front has been dropped a little- doesn't look like stock height then for a 3/4 i guess.

Were beds the same length on 1/2 and 3/4? They just changed from short sides to high sides, right?

and thanks again for all your help...