Springing the Clutch?

Dave Bohn

This is a new term to me? I've purchased an overdrive from George Asche and was reading the shop manual to see if I could install it myself. I ran across the caution to be careful installing the transmission to avoid "springing the clutch". That's all the manual stated about installation. Could anyone say what this means? Normally I can understand what the manual says even if I know it's too big of a job for me, but springing the clutch has me stumped.

To introduce myself, I've been a long time lurker on this site by reading it at work and don't feel comfortable posting from there. I've had a D24 for 7 years and have learned most of what I know about it from this site. It looks pretty good from 20 feet. There's a pic of it on my profile. Thanks.

Nice looking car Dave. Never heard the term "springing the clutch" before but what it may mean is bending the center of the clutch disk by trying to force the transmission input shaft in when it's not properly lined up.

Is that a Canadian Dodge? I notice the front fenders extend back into the doors.

Several folks, me included, have found it helpful to fabricate some guid pins. You do this by getting some 3 or 3 1/2 inch long bolts of correct size, and cut the heads off. threading them loosley into two of the transmission mounting bolt holes will allow you to slide the transmission on and align the input shaft intot he pilot bushing without bashing the clutch or fouling the alignment of the friction diss within the pressure plate. the only caution here is to make sure they are cut long enough to provide support, but short enougn to allow you to back the our of the holes. I utilized the lower drivers side and the upper passenger slide holes. Of course the whole process is much easier if you remove the center panel of the front seat floor.

Another helpful change is to replace the standard bolts with allen head cap screws. Putting these in with a hex head socket and a couple of extensions makes getting the bolts back in a much easier proposition than the regular bolts, as a couple of them are blind and long reaches if you haven't pulled the floor section.

Thanks for the the help, I think I'll check around and see if a tranny shop (with an experienced mechanic) would tackle the switch.

Normspeed, its a regular states Dodge, I got the build sheet and it came form Detroit. I'm in the far north side of Chicago and it was sold new it Evanston IL, the first suburb north - so it isnt far from home.

Dave they really aren't that hard to switch. The OD is the exact same length so the driveshaft doesn't have to be messed with. If you pull the first trans and don't touch the clutch etc everything should stay lined up. Use the cut off bolts like Greg mentioned and slide the new one right in. Dad and I did the one in his 50 in 1 afternoon including making up a wiring harness to get all the electrics working.

On my last trans swap I made guide pins from allthread. It really did help. Also, a cheap Harbor Freight trans jack helped a lot. My 53 doesn't have the removeable floor panel but it does have more clearance around the top.

Anyone else notice that of the 4 transmission bolts, one is shorter? On mine that one goes in the lower left hole, nearest the clutch pivot assembly.