Re-living our youth

Here's a great Wall Street Journal article that touches our love for our Pilothouse trucks. For me I learned to drive on a long desolate stretch of Galveston beach highway all to myself.

I haven't found that truck but my project B3B will fill the void.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB120000007479681853-lMyQjAxMDI4MDEwMTAxMDEwWj.html

The truck I have the fondest memories of is as a little kid riding in my dad's old '47 Power Wagon. That monster could go anywhere and do anything. He had a boom setup and wench. It could pull tree stumps and also was used to pull the submersible pump from our well. Way too much truck for my needs so the pilot-house is a great replacement.

I did some of my earliest driving in his International truck. Used to hot wire it and drive it around when he was asleep.

Thanks for a good article

Jim

While I'm too young to have really experienced that and I doubt I will someday be searching for my first car, 89 century 4cyl, I really enjoyed the article. It makes me really glad at a wise age of 10 I talked Dad into restoring his first car instead of getting rid of it. This June will mark 42 years of ownership.

That was a good article, thanks for posting it.

I leaned to drive beginning at age 9 in this 1963 IHC that my dad bought new...his only new vehicle...in '63. I would go to work with him on weekends and sit in the middle and shift the 4 speed for him...

Mother was unimpressed ;)

I'm not looking for one, but if one turned up I would grab it. I'm sure the actual one has gone to it's maker by now!

63IHCRed.jpg

I've still got the '53 Chevy 210 2 door that my parents bought new 2 weeks before I was born. Been sitting under cover for the last 30+ yrs-ran it all through college. Any day now, any day....... Mike

I just made "baby boomer status" by being born in 1964.

Grandpa drove a White 1968/4 door Coronet 440/383 2bbl dubed the "Christmas car" cuz every Christmas that trunk was loaded! He sold it in 79' to family. I kept an eye on it for a long time and eventually bought it to keep it in "the family". It's a now a RED 383 magnum with plenty of HP. Grandpa never saw the 68 in full retirement (complete with licence plate 68mopwr) but always appreciated my crazy side.

In a related story, a guy maybe 38 or so, was part of a delivery crew dropping off my new couch. He noticed my dodge trucks and mentioned he liked dodges. I let them take a look in my shop and he freaked out. "dude, that's my dad's old charger" It was amazing, cuz he ID'd the car from 75 feet away. It was minus trim, in full primer, and old tires and rims for resto work. It looked nothing like it did when I bought it. The only thing that was on it for him to ID'd was the window tint strip on the upper wind shield he put on in the mid 80's as a kid. His first car. I guess the 68 Charger had moved from town to town until it ended up in a bad part of Stockton. Pretty wore out. That's when I bought it. I got lost, passed the car, stopped, knocked on the guys front door, offered him a fair price, I took it home. That moving guy was happy to know his first car had a happy ending.

48D