1950 Desoto fuel pump interchange with Dodge truck

wfopossum

Does anyone know if a fuel pump from a 1950 Pilothouse truck will fit a 1950 Desoto coupe ? Isn't it basically the same optional engine ? Will it clear the frame ? I would rebuild my old pump but the PO removed the arm and jb welded the hole. The reason I ask is the Desoto pump is pretty spendy and the Dodge pump is under $50. Thanks in advance for any advice .

The truck pumps stick out further than the car ones but the top is also clockable so I would think you could fit it. 

I would assume since you have a 6 cylinder car that you would use the AC588 pump which is a single action pump.  These pumps were used for a longtime. This is what i have on my 39 Desoto.

Also, since you need to new pump do not purchase a used pump or a rebuilt pump unless the seller can confirm that the pump has been refitted with an ethanol resistant diaphragm. The old rebuilt pumps did not have the newer diaphrams.  So a total rebuild kit is going to cost you some money and then the rebuilding cost if you can not do that job.

So, either pay the current price and or buy unknown condition plus shipping then order a rebuild kit plus shipping and you are maybe costing more or may a little less. I would buy brand new and then be able to just install the new pump and one less thing to worry about.

Just did a lookup and saw that a rebuild kit for the pump you need on Ebay is $95 plus maybe the cost of a rebuildable 588 pump lets say around 35-40 plus $15 shipping now you have a total cost of $150.  Can get a brand new pump for around the same price.

Yes having an antique car or truck is not a cheap hobby but I feel it is better to be sure the item you need will work and not cause other issues.

Pay once or pay several times to fix something.  This is your decision time.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

Edited by desoto1939

For me a cobbled together old car that runs well, brings lot of fun and pride. I have about 6-7 old scabby fuel pumps here. I mix and match parts as needed. I’ve ordered pump rebuild kits and rebuilt my own. Good times were had and extremely valuable knowledge is earned. You’ll learn skills that will allow you to troubleshoot and fix problems on the side of a road with a pocket knife. 

My ‘38 Plymouth looks like it came out of a field last week. People sure take a liking to it when they see me ripping around town in it. I won’t win any show awards except probably longest drive in what appears to be a shaky car at best. But its not a shaky car. Its very solid under its exterior appearance.  

I keep en eye out for old Mopar parts and acquire them proactively. I can’t tell you exactly how much money I’ve saved getting my old Plymouth reliable and road worthy. But its a lot.  The hobby doesn’t have be expensive if you’re smarter than the average bear and ambitious. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

Make sure the push arm for the pump is positioned correctly in relation to the cam shaft lift lobe.