1946-48 Chrysler Hub cap skins

harmony
Go to solution Solved by joecoozie,

I'm wonder if anyone has had any experience with the '46-'48 , 11 inch Chrysler hubcap skins?  There are a couple suppliers offering them for $100 US each.  That's hugely expensive by the time you convert to Canadian funds and have a full set shipped up here to Canada. 

I'm curious if they are reliable?  They say that they are easily put over the hub caps once the old skins are removed.  But the lip that wraps around the back of the hub cap only wraps around about an 1/8" at the most.  I'm curious if they sort of snap on, or if you have to be pean them over with a rubber mallet.  The suppliers also suggest that it's a good idea to use some sort of adhesive between the original hub cap and the inside of the new skin.  That tells me that they might be prone to coming off.  I'm thinking that the skins were originally pressed on at the factory.  It's really difficult to even get a knife under that lip of one of mine.  I don't dare experiment and try to remove one, because it might get destroyed coming off.

I did replace the skins on my hubcaps several years ago.

What I did was remove the old skin by prying the "lip" up.

Then I sandblasted the metal hubcap to get a nice smooth surface - then I primed them to prevent rust.

I then installed the new "skins" (which I believe were $40.00 each) by using a strong adhesive which I let dry - then I peaned the edge to wrap around the cap.

I have yet to install the "new" hubcaps on my car - they are still in the box.

I know $100.00 each is a lot of money BUT....if you rechromed yours it would probably be about the same cost (or more???) BUT...then you have to paint the CHRYSLER script lettering - which never seems to look good.

It isn't very difficult but it is time consuming. Centering the skin is probably the most difficult part of the process.

• Like 1

What adhesive did you use?

Is it used to just hold the cap centered or to help hold it tight to the cap itself?

• Solution

I couldn't tell you exactly what I used but I think it was 3M Adhesive.

It accomplishes both tasks of holding the cap centered AND holding it tight against the cap so when the edge(s) are peaned you get a good,snug fit - which would prove to be a difficult task without adhesive unless you made some kind of a press to pean the edges - similar to what the factory did.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, joecoozie said:

I did replace the skins on my hubcaps several years ago.

What I did was remove the old skin by prying the "lip" up.

Then I sandblasted the metal hubcap to get a nice smooth surface - then I primed them to prevent rust.

I then installed the new "skins" (which I believe were $40.00 each) by using a strong adhesive which I let dry - then I peaned the edge to wrap around the cap.

I have yet to install the "new" hubcaps on my car - they are still in the box.

I know $100.00 each is a lot of money BUT....if you rechromed yours it would probably be about the same cost (or more???) BUT...then you have to paint the CHRYSLER script lettering - which never seems to look good.

It isn't very difficult but it is time consuming. Centering the skin is probably the most difficult part of the process.

Thanks,  Well at least you didn't say "stay clear of those skins". So at this point I just have to decide if I want to live with the scratched, slightly dinted in places, and tired chrome, hub caps that I have now, or dig deep into my wallett and bite the bullet.  

I'm guessing that the skin is already formed to fit over the edge of the hub cap, and once the adhesive is set, you'd gently start working your way around the edge to draw the lip in tight.  Do you remember what you found to be the best tool for the job?  I'm thinking a soft rubber mallet.