Windshield wiper switch install

OUTFXD

Jacquiline's windshield wiper knob has always been loose on the little metal bit that pokes up through the dash.   Like REAL loose.  Like would fall off if gravity wasnt holding it down loose. 

I bent the little metal tensioner that is inside the knob to try to add tension.  but when I tried to put it on, the little metal bit pushed into the dash and fell completely through. 

Tried to put it back in, but there is nothing to hold it in place.  like the only thing holding it there was resting atop the lever on the wiper motor. 

Am I missing something or is this the way it is supposed to be?

46 Plymouth Special Deluxe 218 CiD flathead six with a three speed manual transmission and a little low on air in the back driver side tire. 

OUTFXD, That metal rod, if I remember correctly, sits in the selector of the wiper motor (should be a flange looking piece attached to the motor and the other end has a hole in it that the metal rod sits in) then it slides up though the hole in the dash that the knob attaches to. If you push the knob to hard that flange will flex and the rod knda drops through. It's been years since I had the wiper motor out but I believe only gravity holds that rod in place. 

The Plymouth manual only shows the electric motors and my Motors manual only shows the updated vacuum motor with the vacuum valve sitting directly under the switch. The older Trico motors have the linkage from the switch to the motor. As stated above I believe it is held in by gravity or a rubber grommet on the flange.

Joe Lee

• Thanks 1