Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

door lock rotor repar

DonaldSmith

1 minute ago, DonaldSmith said:

My left rear door does not want to latch, 3 out of 4 tries.  The rotor is worn. 

Photo from a thread about 5 years ago.  (Editing - more text:)   These kits must be as scarce as hen's teeth. However, it looks like the rotor is double-sided.  Can it be flipped from one door to one on the other side?  Or do the concealed lobes have a different function?  The kit is specific as to which side it is for. 

There are some rotor kits for 49-52 Mopars.  Would they not fit a 47?  (With my luck, probably not.)  

x

x

IMG_0229.JPG

Donald I used one of those on my 52 Coronet but it didn’t fix the problem. Usually internal parts of the latch break. I was lucky to find a decent one in a local salvage yard. I still have the rotor repair kit somewhere. I believe I found mine on eBay. It came from South America.

I think that the photo may hve been from my post.  I used one of those  kits to fix the passenger door on my car.  It worked great and is still functioning well.  The kit can be flipped to the other side, but like itsays on the box the right front kit will work on the left rear... left front to right rear. 

I looked through my photos of one of my door tatches.  The rotor has star-shaped points inside and outside.  The inner side is what keeps the rotor from moving when the door is latched.  And the points of the inner star get their own wear.  Also, the profile of the inner star may be different.   So it looks like I can't switch the right rear with the left rear.  

This photo is looking at the latch from the outside.  As the door closes, the outer points that we see come toward us.  As rhe inner points move from our right to the left, the three springs keep the rotor from rotatoing back in the other direction.  The latch mechanism works to lift those spring ends away fromthe rotor so that the door can open. 

Maybe there is a fault within the mechanism to keep these springs from doing their job.  Maybe a nice wintertime project.  

Doug&Deb have a rotor kit for a 52.  Also there are some on line for 49-52.  Anone know if it would fit pre-49? (These were used on a number of cars.  Someone on line fixed his 41 Stude with a kit.)   

door010(5)-Copy.jpg.e5e4ad621811a3473a55e69bf441144b.jpg

With over 91,000 miles on the clock on my 46, I know already that the latches are in bad shape.  The hinge pins were snapped off just below the head, so if the doors didn't drag already, they sure did after that happened.  The latches are badly worn.  I sure wish I would have kept them off of other cars we scrapped over the years.

Edited by Eneto-55

After mentally taking my door apart, I thought I would check how the mechanism is supposed to work, and have a look at the latch and the strike, before doing anything drastic.  

When the door closes, the strike rotates the rotor by one tooth, while a tooth in the strike folds out of the way.  Then the strike tooth falls in place behind the rotor tooth.  

The strike works fine;  its spring is strong.   

The rotor is free-wheeling in the direction that the strike pushes it, but needs to be released to rotate theother way, to free the door for opening.  The rotor resists backward motion at every click.  So the rotor seems fine.  The teeth are a bit ragged, with some of the metal gouged and pushed up. 

So I fiddled withcthe adjustment of the strike and found a sweet spot that works most of the time.  I think I'll file down the totor teeth sometime, and see if sm0othing them off would help the occasional failiiure to latch. 

a