49 coronet won't shift into gear!

Ryan78

Good afternoon. I'm looking for some information on where to start on my father's 49 Dodge. 

I was bringing it home to do some cosmetic work and I noticed from stop ( it has the gyromatic or fluid drive ) it wanted to over rev and moved forward really slow. Letting off the gas wasn't really facilitating upshifts but it would gradually get to cruising speed... 50-55 mph. 

I stopped at a stop light and when I went through it just didn't want to go. I made it into a parking lot and found that it wouldn't move in any gear or reverse. It did, however, seem to be in gear as it would stop the car rolling backwards but wouldn't go forward.

Is this a clutch issue? Fluid drive electrical or fluid level? I'm not sure where to start. I've got the shop manual but it doesn't have an option for my problem.

I've got the car home (was towed) and I'm going to start checking solenoids, governor, fluid level, engine idle, etc. Thanks for any help! Ryan

Update, I opened the plug directly under the small inspection cover on the driver's floor board. The fluid IS low. I believe it's supposed to be filled right to the top correct? It's about an inch below the opening. I'm not clear if this gets the 10wt or what. Thanks again. 

I believe you are looking at the Fluid Drive fill plug. That is a special oil that is no longer available, but it seems the closest alternative is an ISO 32 / AW 32 hydraulic oil. You should be able to find some at a local place that had tractor supplies. However, I would think it would have to be extremely low to give you the symptoms you describe. It's also possible that the clutch is slipping badly. If the FD is seriously low you probably have a bad bellows seal and the oil may have gotten into the clutch disc. 

Edited by Merle Coggins

You want to bring the fluid level up to the point where it trickles our of the plug hole when the plug is centered in the access opening. The  Imperial Club web site has a great deal of reference material on the gyro matic type transmission.  Idle should be between 450 500 for proper operation.  These transmissions were meant to be driven in high range.  Low range being for occasional use in trailer towing and or pulling stumps.

Thanks for the info! I did top off the oil with ad 32. It wasn't as low as I thought. It didn't take much to overflow. I also adjusted the idle by backing it off until it stumbled then a half turn to smooth idle. I don't have a tach but if I had to guess it's close to 450. The motor only has 3000 rebuilt miles but the trans/fluid drive I believe weren't touched. 

Another thing is the day before the battery was flat when my father stopped at the store but it had started fine to get him there. While running and when driving the gauge read the amperage at just right of 0. Maybe it's an electrical issue? Any advice to check if it's clutch slippage? Thanks for your time and knowledge! I'll try to find the info from imperial club. Any link I've tried to follow gave a 404 page not found so far. 

Okay thanks! I figured probably slipping clutch but wanted to be sure. I'm not very knowledgeable on these transmission yet. Is there a procedure for adjusting the clutch or sorting out the slipping?