Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Grounding

Conn47D24

There's been discussion over the years about how important good grounding between the engine the frame and the body can be.

Other than the positive cable going from Battery to engine block, what are other efficient places to add grounding straps?

I have lots of extra grounds.  One from the battery ground post to the radiator core support, another to where I mounted the regulator for the 12v alternator, several others as well, all my exterior lights tie into one of those points.

• Thanks 1

Clay: After getting my car painted I ran into an issue with the right rear brake light and turnsignal. Since the car now had a fresh paint I lost the good ground for the taillight assembly. I had rhode Island wire make me a totally new wire harnes and also had them put in an extra ground wire and that corrected my issue.

So I would say any light buckets and anything that might not have a good bare contact to the frame or other metal should have an extra ground.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1

I ran my battery ground to the block right of the coil. Then a large (number 4 I think) cable to the bolt on the inner fender well that holds the ebrake cable. From there I ran a no.6  forward to the terminal block in front of the rad for the marker and headlights. Also from the inner fender I ran 10 gauge to the regulator for good measure.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

Can't get too many grounds.  And I use star washers at the bolts and screws.  The washers bite through the paint, rust and crud.    

One thing I've learned as an electrician is to not use washers. Mind you, this was on a large transformer at the time. But, the principle still applies. Adding washers introduces more surfaces. More surfaces to corrode, heat up, loosen up, create resistance. "Star" washers, or any lock washer, invites water in as well. 

Edited by D35 Torpedo

It seems normal for vibrating equipment such as cars to have lock washers to keep the nuts from backing off.  And star washers have worked well for me, since we do have less than pristine surfaces, and low voltage to contend with.  For me, star washers cut it. 

• Like 1

In the garage today and I did add a braided ground cable from the positive battery term to the radiator frame.  Starter cranked stronger.

Also, grounded the heaters to body.

Heaters turn MUCH faster.

I might be mistaken but it seems that the amp meter is also running steady. it used to bounce just slightly negative at idle

Productive day in the garage

• Like 1