Generator voltage output test??

clarkede

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

that's when you learn the fine art of push starting a car, btdt, lol.

Many times have I needed to pop-the-clutch.  I love parking on a slight incline and then letting it roll a little to start the car. It is so easy to do and I'm afraid that it is soon to be a thing of the past with the demise of the standard transmissions.

10 hours ago, clarkede said:

soon to be a thing of the past with the demise of the standard transmissions.

I know, I am looking for a car for my son, it has to have a stick.  Had a heck of a deal on a Chrysler Crossfire, the seller backed out.  In any event, he is learning to drive in my 51.  Has a line on a really sweet 52 Belvedere, but the seller wanted too much and I don't think I am ready to turn him loose in one of those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

I know, I am looking for a car for my son, it has to have a stick.  Had a heck of a deal on a Chrysler Crossfire, the seller backed out.  In any event, he is learning to drive in my 51.  Has a line on a really sweet 52 Belvedere, but the seller wanted too much and I don't think I am ready to turn him loose in one of those.

My first car was this 1948 Plymouth.  It was originally my grandfathers, which was passed down to my dad.  When my dad  stopped driving it for some electrical issues back in the mid 80's, I took it over and worked for a year and a half getting it running again (including rebuilding engine, electrical, and upholstery refresh(with the help of my mom).  At that point the car was nearly 40 years old and when I started driving it to high school it was definitely unique and noticed by everyone.  I had a blast with it. I then drove it to college and also had a blast with it.  The problem with having an older car at college is the amount of time you spend repairing and up-keeping the vehicle (especially older cars that you have to lube every 1000 miles).  The fuel economy is also horrible and it made saving for pizza money really hard. It did, however, force me to learn to repair things, which to this day I am so glad my dad let me have this car as my first. 

I would like to report that my new alternator test was today.  It worked great.  I started the engine and immediately noticed that the ammeter was at around +15-20 amps.  That means it was charging the battery which is something that I haven't seen in a while now.  The ammeter went down as the battery took its initial charge and hovered at around +5 amps.  I also turned on the headlights and heater fan and the ammeter continued to hover around +5 amps as it charged.  After running the engine for 15 minutes it went down to around 0 amps, but if I turned on the headlights, it never went negative.  So, this was a success.  I then took it out for a 20 minute drive and everything worked great - even at higher RPMs. 

The engine does sound different with the alternator vice the generator.  I can't really explain the sound difference except that the alternator spins faster (with the smaller pulley on it) and I feel that is sound that I am hearing.  It will take a little getting used to it.

Also, the bracket assembly that I configured is holding great with the engine running and there is no movement in the alternator at all. 

• Like 2