Site Offline 9/23/24 starting 8:00 AM PST ×

All these Threads about OD's...I have a question.

splat1955

I recently posted some pics of cars I found locally...one was a '50's something Chrysler NY'er...the other a '51 or '52 Cranbrook. Could either of these vehicles have come with the stock OD's? And if so, is there a way to tell without getting under the cars if they have the OD? Also, what gear ratio would I have in my '48 Dodge Custom 4 Dr...I haven't really looked to see if it's stamped anywhere on the diff but if someone can tell me where to look, I'm gonna be under there tomorrow and the next day.

One more question....I've got the Fluid Drive trans....Is the OD & Fluid Drive a decent combo or is there more hassle having the Fluid Drive as opposed to the standard 3 speed.....regarding installation.

Good question Shel.........do I want it......or, do I need it. Well, to be honest, I don't know. I think it sounds like a good idea, but I guess until I drive the car more, I shouldn't jump on getting an OD...but, I know once I am totally comfortable with the car to even drive it 100 miles, up here, it sounds like when I get out of the mountains up here (and to go anywhere, you really have to get off the mountain), I'd be driving on highways and freeways, and I would think that the improvement in MPG by dropping the RPM's 33% or so would have to be a plus. I'd really like to take it for a ride to my home town in Central Calif around spring...that's about 350 miles. By then, I hope to have all bugs worked out and maybe even some upgrades done. I guess before then, I should really get it driven on the local highways and see how badly I want to tackle installing an OD. I haven't even trouble shot the issues with the front end yet. That's tomorrow....I've been mocking up my front bumpers and getting them straight....and finding other things under the front to tighten or replace.

Anyway, Yeah, at this point, I probably want one more than I need one......but if one of those cars has an OD....I'd bet it would be smart to pick it up if I can get it cheap enough, cause there's no saying how much longer those cars are going to be there. I think they have sold the property and are smashing most everything. I'd hate to see something like an OD ....or any usable part get gone before I have a chance to make an offer on it.

You should have a 3.9 to 1 in your sedan.

Question would be. Do you really want an O.D.? Or do you need an O.D. for your driving habits? My understanding is O.D.'s are good for highway rides.

These pice should give you an idea of where to look.

One marking forward of the fill plug on that flat area.

Other spot may be on the top front.

4 drive shaft bolts 4 tranny bolts some linkage and a cable to remove. almost the same as the standard 3spd. then you need teh OD cable and the underhood wiring stuff

OD and tranny come out as a unit so you need to be able to get under there to do it. If a car is on the ground, flat tires, etc, you would need to get it well up on solid jackstands. The later OD that is supposedly the better one has R10 on the side. There's an R7 model from earlier years. See Blueskies site for info on both, because there are differences that Pete found the hard way. Besides the OD/trans unit, there's the control cable from the dash, and a relay under the hood, a kickdown switch on the carb or linkage, and the wiring harness that connects all of it.

They're nice when they work, but not all of them work well, as you can tell by the posts on the forum. Lately I've been driving with a straight 3 speed and 4.10 rear gear. I've learned to keep it under 65 on the freeway, stay in the right lane and try not to spend too much time watching the mirrors as folks rush up behind me to pass at the last moment. :eek:

No Problem Reg....which car do you expect one of those gear ratios to be in? I'll do my best to get a look.

Hey Norm....So, there would be more of a chance that an OD unit would be in either the '50's Cranbrook or the '50s NY'er...correct? Not so much of a chance in the '46 - '48 Chrysler though....is that right?

And thanks guys for the heads up on the speedo cable & and everything that needs to be unbolted.

Brian,

Next time you go out to the yard in Shingle Springs see if you can check out the rear end ratios. I'd be very interested in a complete rearend with 3.73 or 3.54 ratios.

Reg

Just guessing but probably the latest model there.

No Problem Reg....which car do you expect one of those gear ratios to be in? I'll do my best to get a look.

Hey Norm....So, there would be more of a chance that an OD unit would be in either the '50's Cranbrook or the '50s NY'er...correct? Not so much of a chance in the '46 - '48 Chrysler though....is that right?

And thanks guys for the heads up on the speedo cable & and everything that needs to be unbolted.

They're nice when they work, but not all of them work well, as you can tell by the posts on the forum. Lately I've been driving with a straight 3 speed and 4.10 rear gear. I've learned to keep it under 65 on the freeway, stay in the right lane and try not to spend too much time watching the mirrors as folks rush up behind me to pass at the last moment. :eek:

That is the main reason I would like O.D., SoCal freeways when they are not inching along during rush hour, everyone drives like bats outa hell, even trucks in the slow lanes are doing 70mph+. Its a waste of time to look in your mirrors cause all you'll see is a Peterbilt grill and nothing else anyway. Out where my way there are so many gravel trucks on the road you have to be dodging rocks flying out dinging stainless, chipping paint and cracking windshields, if they get ahead of you. Trouble is,you can't hardley get around in So Cal without using the freeway at some point in the journey.