Andy Bernbaum Disc Brake Conversion 50 Plymouth

Old Flathead

I'm going to do a front disc brake conversion on my 1950 Plymouth. I was initially going with SacreBird, but I just saw the complete kit including dual chamber Master Cylinder available from Andy Bernbaum. Does anyone have experience with their kit? 

I'm hesitant to talk about this because the cars changed a fair bit from my year 1948 and your year.  So for your 50 Plymouth it might be a slam dunk.   However what I can say is that I too wanted to make the conversion on my car and I did extensive research on it a couple years ago.  The end result I found was that it is very expensive.  Mind you I live in Canada and that stuff is heavy so shipping was ridiculous.  I did come across someone who successfully made the conversion on his 48 New Yorker and his experience was that NOBODY had a kit that did everything.  So you have to use a couple or a few different suppliers.  The kit he finally went with said it was super simple and it was a bolt on kit.  He ended up getting out his grinder and welder and purchase some steel and he had to make special brackets, and move the MC further back and even cut a hole in the floor under the front seat and build a tunnel to accommodate the new booster (so it wouldn't hang down low)that was on the MC and then make a longer pushrod, etc  etc.  

If on the 50 Plymouth the MC is up on the firewall then you should be fine with that part of the puzzle.

I had enough paperwork to fill a binder.  In the end I decided to stick with what I have and just hold my breathe as I go down those long steep hills.

I haven't used Bernbaums but if you want to keep it simple and keep your stock wheels, go with Rusty Hope. As far as the master, my dailies both have single reservoir masters and they haven't killed me yet. I put easily 12,000 Mike's a year on them, freeway commuting, back roads, road trips with no problems. Good luck on your search.