I May Be In Trouble

Norm's Coupe

The 350 engine and tranny in my garage may be getting me into trouble.;)

Found a 55 Plymouth 2 door Savoy for sale locally, and cheap. Needs some work but doesn't sound like that much. Has all the trim in the trunk, body and frame supposed to be in decent shape, new brakes, complete new custom interior kit comes with it, 318 engine. It's missing a transmission and the left front fender. Otherwise complete car with clean title. Owner said he bought the car this way a couple of years ago but never got around to doing anything with it, so decided to sell it. Said the engine was supposed to be good when he bought it, but never tried it, so not sure about it. Going to look at it tomorrow morning.

This could cause trouble with parking, the wife and on top of that, I'd still have an extra engine. If I kept the 318 in it and bought a tranny, I'd still have the 350 sitting around tempting me. If I put the 350 in the 55, I'd have the 318 sitting in the garage tempting me.:rolleyes:

Either way, if I do end up with it, it will be a full blown custom 55 when finished.

By the way for any of you Dodge truck fans reading this, the guy also has a 48 Dodge Pickup for sale. He said it was on a Ford frame with disc brakes, but the body is full of bondo. Will take a look at it too if anyone is interested in it.

Ed, if I go with it, I'm 99% sure I'll go with the car being Chevy powered with the 350 for two reasons. First, I already have what I know is a good complete 350 set up, so that requires very little additional investment. Plus, I like the Chevy 350 for it's reliability and parts available. Two, to put a red ram in it, I'd have to find one and a tranny. Then I would probably have to rebuild it before using it. Red Ram engines and parts aren't cheap, plus the Red Ram is hard to find. Then there's the question of replacement parts down the road. So.......it'll be a Chevy - Plym.:) I've always told myself if I did pick up another project, it would have to be one I could do on the cheap. So......that's what I'm going for if I go with this project.

Actually, I know what I'd do with the 318 that's in it. I'd just sell that.

My biggest hang up is where to park the thing if I go with it.:rolleyes:

Ed, parking at your house wouldn't be a good option.:) Would never get anything done to it then. Plus, you could not exercise it very well with no tranny in it.

Don C, my coupe is already taking up the LONG TERM parking near my house.:)

About an hour or so ago I broke the news to my wife that I was going to look at the 55. Her reaction was well.............sort of.............mixed. But......she did say if I got another car, her car will still be parking in the garage. Also that she did not want a junker in the driveway for the neighbors to see. Seemed to get around that by telling her I'd put a car cover over it. So.......I guess that was one hurdle. Next one is how the car looks tomorrow......and.........do I really want to have to parallel park my van every time I back in the driveway.

Ed' date=' parking at your house wouldn't be a good option.:) Would never get anything done to it then. Plus, you could not exercise it very well with no tranny in it.

[/quote']

I'm sure Ed could figure out a way to get it in and out of the garage several times a month.:D

Sounds like you may have cleared the hardest hurdle already with the wife.

Trouble like this is what we thrive on on this website. Sounds like a potential great car in the making, this new project outta fire you up, I say go with the SBC and T350 Trans. I do plan on coming down and seeing this work in progress, if you in fact do buy it. I figure I should come down and give you at least a couple days work, for all the free advice you have given me.

Today a friend of mine he has a 62 Olds Starfire Convertible, and a 48 Chrysler Windsor. He figures my work is coming along okay, his cars according to him were worse than mine in the beginning. So what you are thinking of getting sounds pretty decent, any chance we can see some pics..............All the best Fred

Trouble like this is what we thrive on on this website. Sounds like a potential great car in the making, this new project outta fire you up, I say go with the SBC and T350 Trans. I do plan on coming down and seeing this work in progress, if you in fact do buy it. I figure I should come down and give you at least a couple days work, for all the free advice you have given me.

Today a friend of mine he has a 62 Olds Starfire Convertible, and a 48 Chrysler Windsor. He figures my work is coming along okay, his cars according to him were worse than mine in the beginning. So what you are thinking of getting sounds pretty decent, any chance we can see some pics..............All the best Fred

Fred, don't have any pictures. Will take some tomorrow when I look at it. Right now I'm just going on what the guy said on the phone. The ad I found didn't give that much information. Who knows, this could turn out to be a real bag of worms, or it could turn out to be a decent project. It's only about 20 or 30 minutes from my house, so it's at least worth looking at.

Even if it is a decent looking project, unless the guy really sweetens the deal (lowers price even more) I won't make a decision tomorrow. A big swap meet is coming up on the 29th of September and who knows, may even be a better deal there on something. Usually, since this is the last swap meet of the year and it's a long winter until next April, people sell stuff cheaper at the meet coming up. So.......might wait until after then to decide. Plus as mentioned before, do I really want to have to parallel park my van every day.

Your wife sounds Exactly like mine Norm.....3 months previous to buying the Dodge, I'd just sold the '69 Jeepster Commando that my 11 year old daughter and I'd restored the last 4 years.......Anyway....Unfortuneately, when we bought this house....and it didn't have a shop, just a 2 car garage...the deal was that she got to park in the garage....Cause my tools and tool boxes take up the room that would normally be for a second car. So, when I bought the Dodge in Reno....right there in front of God and everyone she says....You know, just cause your getting a new project and it's much nicer than the Jeepster(she hated the jeepster).....It's still going outside...not in the garage. I got lucky, the Dodge had a car cover in the trunk. Well, for 2 weeks it stayed outside....then, one day when she was at work about a week and a half ago, I called her and told her it was going to have to come in for a couple days and her car was out for a couple days...reason being, I had to drain lube, change oil, but also told her I was going to pull the wheels and take them in for new tires. Anyway, long story short( if that's possible with me), I've pretty much worn out my welcome....this weekend will be the second weekend her cars been out...all week too...and I've gotta have everything done by Sunday night. (actually, everything is pretty much done...I just go out to the garage right before she gets home, jack it up high enough to get a wheel off the gound and a jack stand under it, open a door and throw a couple tools on the ground...and I'm good to go for a few more days....But, it's out after this weekend...game over.......Anyway Norm, sounds like your wife and mine were cut from the same cloth!

Ed' date=' parking at your house wouldn't be a good option.:) Would never get anything done to it then. Plus, you could not exercise it very well with no tranny in it.

Don C, my coupe is already taking up the LONG TERM parking near my house.:)

About an hour or so ago I broke the news to my wife that I was going to look at the 55. Her reaction was well.............sort of.............mixed. But......she did say if I got another car, her car will still be parking in the garage. Also that she did not want a junker in the driveway for the neighbors to see. Seemed to get around that by telling her I'd put a car cover over it. So.......I guess that was one hurdle. Next one is how the car looks tomorrow......and.........do I really want to have to parallel park my van every time I back in the driveway.[/quote']

Ed, here's the deal. If you want the 55 PM me and I'll give you the sellers info. It's not in that great of shape. Outside skin looks decent, however pretty rusty around the top rear edge of the quarter windows. The 318 engine is questionable. Looks like it hasn't run in years and covered in rust. Don't know about the floors, was too low to the ground to go under and had old carpet on the floor. Rockers looked ok from top and sides. Did not want to raise the carpet. When I opened the door the damp smell was horrible and a swarm of mosquito's came flying out the door. Both bumpers are off and so is the grill and headlights. Left front fender missing and inner fender not all that great either. All glass is there. This car could be saved, but I don't want to be the one who does it.:D Didn't take any pictures of it, but it is nice and straight.

When walking up to both the 55 and 48 Dodge pickup, the truck really looked sharp. Real pretty blue metallic paint job. However, on closer inspection, it's nothing to write home about either. Did promise Todd some pictures so did take a few. Todd, it isn't worth what he's asking.

Wife just got home. Ask me about the car and I told her. Her response, "Yea"!:D

Last picture of the truck. Forgot to mention. The truck sits on a modern Ford pickup chassis with disc brakes. However as you can see the front wheels extend out past the fenders. Also, there is no engine or transmission with the truck. Also the rear corners of the cabin floor are rusted through. If you open the right hand door, you can see daylight shinning through the left hand kick panel area along the door post. Also, the left door skin is rusted at the bottom and is loose. The door glass is there but cracked.

I must say after looking back at the pictures again that thing barely looks like a parts truck. Windshield frame might be good. I could use rear fenders but these don't even look salvageable.