Pertronix Troubles

nonstop

I was checking out the Napa stuff, and it looked too similar to the Wells points. The BWD looked the beefiest, but we'll see. Slim pickings for quality ignition parts!

Edited by nonstop

I know..... That was the catalyst for trying the Pertronix. I had a condensor fail a month or so ago, which was less than a year old. I then had the points break last week. They were Wells parts. Now I have BWD parts in there. I want to see how long those last.

I sure miss Standard and Blue Streak ignition pieces.....

Me too. Guess it is good I had much better luck with the Pertronix.......'cause I sure as heck don't trust the points I tried. And that included some by Standard. One thing that is interesting is how we can all have different experiences dealing with the same problems. :confused:

Jeff

I have used Pertronix modules on many vehicles for over twenty years, never had a problem. The one very valuable lesson I learned many years ago is "don't let the directions on the container out smart you"

Several years ago I had a '53 Pontiac straight 8, 6 volt positive ground. I wanted to get rid of the point ignition, I inquired at my favorite parts store about a Pertronix for the car. I was told that all Pontiac 8's used the same module.

Before I ordered the module I called Pertronix's Tec line. The counter man was wrong, Pertronix has a module for straight eights. They also recommended that I use their 12v. coil, the reason being that 6 v systems have very high resistance and therefore need all the voltage they can get.

My tuneup man refused to install the Pertronix in the Pontiac, I insisted, telling him it was my problem if it got cooked. Never had a problem with the ignition...

I recently had a Pertronix module and coil installed in my '65 Corvair Corsa. New wire had to be ran from the switch to the ignition because GM uses a high resistance wire which chokes the voltage down as it heats up. The solid state electronic ignitions need a full 12 volts all the time, which means a ballast register and/or resistance wire has to be eliminated from the system.

IT IS TIME FOR ME TO EAT CROW!

Well guys, I was wrong! The Pertronix is in and working!

So my initial problem was carburetion. Before I could fix it, the points went out. So now I had no choice but to dive into both the ignition and fuel systems AT THE SAME TIME! I normally limit repairs to get me at a time. Unfortunately, I had no choice, but to do both.

You've already seen the trials of me chasing down ignition problems. I figured I would focus on the carb. I just rebuilt it, but the carb just wasn't working like before! Took it off and found the problem. The gasket between the base and body did not have the hole above the port in the baseplate for the manifold vacuum! The spare gasket I had didn't have it either. I carefully made a hole in it, put the carb back on the car, and it fired up and ran like a champ!

I'm glad to get it running again, and just need some fine tuning. I AM HAPPY with the Pertronix as well!

• Like 2