fuel fill tube grommet

49DODGEBOY

IF you use a new grommet, don't assume a new one is going to fit right....I got a very nice looking one but I did have to do a bit more of an undercut on the grommet and form a deeper groove to allow it to lock onto the fender once you establish this groove and set it in place..the tube when slipped in will lock it nicely in place..if you do not use a new one be careful as these older rubbers get rock hard an can be a pain...good soap water around the neck as you do a gentle rocking motion will allow the soap to get into place to allow a easier removal/replacement

• Like 3

IF you use a new grommet, don't assume a new one is going to fit right....I got a very nice looking one but I did have to do a bit more of an undercut on the grommet and form a deeper groove to allow it to lock onto the fender once you establish this groove and set it in place..the tube when slipped in will lock it nicely in place..if you do not use a new one be careful as these older rubbers get rock hard an can be a pain...good soap water around the neck as you do a gentle rocking motion will allow the soap to get into place to allow a easier removal/replacement

thx for the info, yes the original is as hard as a rock so the soapy water is a great idea. I was wondering what "oils" I could use to soften. Would luv to re-use if possible

rubber is not something I have not seen rejuvenated with any great success...and before you get the wild hair and think of brake fluid...just keep in mind what it does to paint.....lol  I would like to have a dollar for every time I have been told that it softens rubber for the return look I get when I say and what do you think it will do to your paint...

rubber is not something I have not seen rejuvenated with any great success...and before you get the wild hair and think of brake fluid...just keep in mind what it does to paint.....lol  I would like to have a dollar for every time I have been told that it softens rubber for the return look I get when I say and what do you think it will do to your paint...

AGREE!  brake fluid destroys paint......and quickly..     Someone told me to try the ole mystery oil..