FUEL GAUGE READS HALF WHEN FULL

mlozier76

So I had my 48 Dodge on the road this past weekend, first time in 46 years since she drove more than around the block.  I took her on about a 100 mile round trip trek to Palouse,Wa for our car show last weekend.  I put some fuel in it earlier in the week (about 10 gallons) and drove it all week to work to try and work out any bugs before I took her up our 7 mile long 7 percent grade.  When I went to put fuel in Friday night the fuel Gauge was reading almost empty, but she only took 7 gallons, and was full up the neck.  The problem is the gauge when full is pegged and steady at HALF.  I haven't yet been able to look into it with the manual, but intend to sometime this weekend.  Is there a chance that sender installed is 12v, and that's why its reading half?  I have done a lot to make her roadworthy, and she runs well.  My goal is to driver her to Spokane in two weeks for Swamp Stomp, which is about a two hour drive. I would really like to have a properly working fuel gauge.  Any ideas?  I will definitely be delving into it Thursday or this weekend one way or another.  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Fuel gauges are pretty insensitive to the voltage supplied. This is a two wire sender setup which is quite different from what you might expect. If you look at your factory service manual you should see a table showing what will happen to the gauge reading if one or the wires is grounded or open. In this case a full tank reading a half tank looks like it might be the wire at terminal 1 being grounded.

check for open leg to the fuel sender...your repair manual has a very good section of the guage and how to do all test to determine the actual problem...good read...you really need to know what is supposed to be going on before trying to work it...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 4 months later...

Check the float on the fuel guage......They are made of cork and dipped in shellac to seal.......This new gas has a high preponderance of alcohol.....Alcohol is the thinner for shellac.....After a time, the shellac sealant is removed and the cork will absorb the 'gas'...pretty soon, your float is not floating....Snyders Antique Auto Parts in Springfield, Ohio, has a float for Model A's for around $3-$4 which they guarantee not to ever absorb gas.....they are a bit shorter than a P15 float.....I used two end to end and a piece of brass brazing rod threaded for a 4-40 nut and it works like a charm.....I doubt that you would need two, but I always say, 'if a little is good, a lot is better'.....If you happen to have an extra float, weigh them on a postage scale.....My '48 float weighed about 1/3 as much as my '47 float....