T5 questions

1941Rick

You fellas that have converted to a T5 Borg Warner trany.

Which transmission did you go with?  WC or NWC? From which vehicle?

What did you do for a clutch?

Thanks

Rick

I believe the 87 or older S10 Chevy was the best overall fit.    I think the 88 and newer, the speedometer was electronic.

I installed a TK5 speed Ford Ranger on to my flathead, but that is a complete different setup than the T5.

Yep, same size but splined for the t-5. I think I read on the web somewhere that it was just a clutch disc out of a vega? but with the center taken out and re-rivited to the other side of the disc. I'm not 100% sure on that though. When I asked what the clutch was out of I was told to just have it relined when it wore out

Non World Class. You want the shifter at the front of the tailstock not at the rear of it. I used a WG-13-52-145 from a mid 80's Ford Ranger. Clutch disc is Ranger, Pressure plate is Plymouth.

t502.jpg

T523.jpg

Hi Don -  Do you have the T5 in your car at this point ?    From what I had read the transmission of non-world class only had 265 torque rating on it. That and the split in the gear ratio I was concerned there would be  really only about 3 gears one would really use.  So would be interested in what it was actually like in the vehicle.

Right or wrong here was the article I had as my reference point and the chart below it showed the ratios and what they were originally produced for.Of course it would show your transmission as out of a "GM 1985-86 S-Truck 2.5 L4-2.8 V6"

Tim

"The easiest and surest way to identify the original application or gear ratios of a specific used Borg-Warner T5 transmission is to check and look-up the ID tag number using the chart below.

You'll notice that the chart contains a few abbreviations. The abbreviation "WC" stands for "world-class", which was the term Borg-Warner used to promote improved, second-generation versions of their popular five speed manual transmissions. World-class T5's were used in various Ford models starting in the 1985 model year, and in various GM models starting in the 1988 model year.

What makes a world-class T5 preferable? The world-class T5 transmission had bearings on 1st, 2nd and 3rd mainshaft gears whereas the non-world-class T5 transmissions didn't. Secondly, the world-class transmissions used tapered roller bearings on the countershaft, whereas non-world-class transmissions used flat (cylindrical) roller bearings. The synchronizers are also quite different: world-class T5 transmissions used 3-piece blocker rings on 1st and 2nd and friction-lined (aka "fiber" or "composite") powder-coated steel-core rings on 3rd and 4th for longer life. Non-world-class T5 transmissions used one-piece brass blocker rings throughout. With these improvements, the world-class transmissions have proven more durable, although both kinds are rebuildable. (Generally, world-class T5 transmissions have higher torque ratings. Many of the non-world-class transmissions are rated for 265 ft-lbs, whereas many of the world-class transmissions are rated at 300 ft-lbs. The Ford Motorsports "T5z" is rated 330 ft-lbs.)

T-5 Transmission Application Chart (below is the link to the chart which outlines each model, what its used for and the ratio in each gear)

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm

Edited by timkingsbury

I installed my T-5 about 10 years and 40,000 miles ago and I am very happy with it.

This transmission sits behind a 255CI Desoto engine with 3.55/1 rear gears. Allows me to run 70 MPH with the engine spinning around 2200 RPM,s all day long.

Ratios are as follows.

1352-145 GM 1985-86 S-Truck 2.5 L4-2.8 V6 R 3.76 3.78 2.18 1.42 1.00 0.72

your selection of the wide ratio tranny makes the flattie, 3.55 and weight of the vehicle work good...a close ratio would allow you to hold first and second a bit longer but some would argue to the demise of the clutch surface...if you staying flathead..I have before and stick with yet the selection of the wide ratio as being the better set up...

There are very many gear combinations on the T5s.

1st 3.50/2nd 2.14    #1352-101

3.76/       2.18    # 1352-102

4.03/       2.37    # 1352-010, 012,

2.95/       1.94

3.35/        1.99

3.97/         2.34

5th gear could be .61, .63,  .72,  .73, .76, .78, .86......

sure are  a lot of combinations....

On my TK Ranger 5 speed, the 1st gear is 3.96,,,,2nd gear 2.07

With a  3.73 rearend, the 3.96 is about like a granny gear, that is great going up my driveway,

or pulling out at a uphill start.

I can start out on level road with the 2.07, but have to be easy.

0.84 5th is great with the 3.73 rear.

I want to try my 3.55 Jeep rearend next....

Disregard below, thought this was the truck section.

1989 BW NWC from an S10, car bell housing, car starter, car ring gear, Paul Curtis adapter. Both the output shaft collar on the trans and the throw out bearing carrier were machined to fit together. 89 is electric speedo so I went with a GPS unit. Made a trans cross member and adapter for the car bell housing. I dislike the much smaller clutch disc that was included with the adapter kit than the truck had stock. I do have pics if interested.

No idea on model # as the tag was rusted off.

Edited by bluebanshee

I installed my T-5 about 10 years and 40,000 miles ago and I am very happy with it.

This transmission sits behind a 255CI Desoto engine with 3.55/1 rear gears. Allows me to run 70 MPH with the engine spinning around 2200 RPM,s all day long.

Ratios are as follows.

1352-145 GM 1985-86 S-Truck 2.5 L4-2.8 V6 R 3.76 3.78 2.18 1.42 1.00 0.72

Ok Cool..  I thought you had said yours was out of a ranger, but maybe you meant the ranger clutch.  Glad it is working well.

So basically for the conversion you used the t5, rangers clutch and plymouth pressure plate and I assume the plymouth bell housing

timkingsbury, on 07 Dec 2014 - 7:54 PM, said:timkingsbury, on 07 Dec 2014 - 7:54 PM, said:

Ok Cool..  I thought you had said yours was out of a ranger, but maybe you meant the ranger clutch.  Glad it is working well.

So basically for the conversion you used the t5, rangers clutch and plymouth pressure plate and I assume the plymouth bell housing

Sorry, I should have said S-10 T-5 and clutch disc not Ranger. I used the Plymouth flywheel, modified Plymouth bell housing, and fabricated a bearing mount to eliminate the pilot bushing and replace it with a bearing.

fork_1.jpg

24.jpg

1.jpg

4999.jpg