mrwrstory

Back on track,....kinda.  Life got in the way (the good life, Grandkids & other auto infatuations) of progress on the Red Ram.

Valve to piston clearance nominal .120".  Heads torgued.  Push rods and lash setting next,....for the last time.  Very tedious

but a one time deal.

IMG_7788_zpsbf768d87.jpg

-

IMG_7790_zps8495c363.jpg

-

IMG_7784_zpse7df24a8.jpg

Here's an update and material for those who might be inclined wonder "why would ya do that?"

I decided to do a little augment to the cooling system.  Standard practice for all Hemis was to draw hot water from just the front of the heads.  I reasoned that by also drawing water from the rear that the head temperature would then become more consistent front to back.  Apparently not a big deal to Chrysler or performance builders that I'm aware of but,.....why not?  

Kind of a fun project and who knows, it might allow me to run cheaper gas or more advance.  :rolleyes: 

IMG_7796_zps53cc9b4e.jpg

-

IMG_7820_zps98e749b6.jpg

-

IMG_7826_zps17940386.jpg

-

IMG_7841_zpsbf38ee72.jpg

-

IMG_7844_zpsf77aac44.jpg

Just talking out loud: I'm not sure if its helping or hurting. Without the new set-up, water flows upward and would have to push from the back of the head to the front, thermal dynamics keeping all water moving . Taking pressure off the back of the head might mean it needs more pressure to flow to the pump? The water is not pulling any heat as it flows from the back to the water neck via the new set-up.....would this introduce a vacum "pull" causing water to stagnate in the back of the head? With the new set-up, you would think the water would have a more even flow from the heads and cool more evenly....I hope this the case. Just adding to the conversation Bill.....thanks for posting the build. ^_^

48D

As a water pump spins it creates a low pressure area behind the impeller. This low pressure are is then filled by the fluid moving from the surrounding high pressure area that is created at the front of the impeller. Fluid doesn't care what route it has to take, only that there is a place to go.

A non-contact infrared thermometer will be one way to check localized head temps.

I am open to opinion, input and/or questions. so, fire away, please!

That being said, my thinking was that the heads are supplied by cooler water coming to them more or less equally from the block.  The system is pressurized by the water being pumped against a closed thermostat.  When the thermostat opens, water is allowed to escape, normally from just the front of the heads, into the radiator.  With the modification I've made, I'm thinking when the thermostat opens, water will flow from both the front and rear of the heads into the radiator thus tending to equalize the temperature of the heads front to back.

I think Mr. Stauffer was saying the same, but more elegantly.  And, yes the infrared thermometer will either make me look thoughtful or a buffoon  :huh:

IMG_7871_zps2590fdc3.jpg

1st question,,,last pic,,,how is that brass fitting sealed to  that  steel part you made that  fits the end of the  head  water outlets ??

bill sounds like a great idea,,,let me  know your findings,,,,

all tho  im  still messing with the front end,,i think i may  still have cooling problems, 241 hemi  ,ive been checking with a infer red  temp device,,,,knowing all the intake bolts go  in to water,,,,ive been checking the t  stat  housing,,,intake bolts and the  brass temp sending unit  on the back of the head in a plate like the one you made to  run your water tubes too,,,

i just  red on this forum  that an  infer red  temp  gauge  wont read  properly on an  aluminum radiator  tank,,,hum,,,,

the t stat and intake bolts read about the same,,,the electric sending unit metal  on the back of the head  reads  higher after the motor has run a while,,cant seem to find an  electric gauge that reads the same  as the  mechical  guage  i have  in the  heater bung on the  intake,,so  you may  be on to some thing  moving the  water around,,,,,

As a water pump spins it creates a low pressure area behind the impeller. This low pressure are is then filled by the fluid moving from the surrounding high pressure area that is created at the front of the impeller. Fluid doesn't care what route it has to take, only that there is a place to go.

A non-contact infrared thermometer will be one way to check localized head temps.

It only begins to care when heat develops.....creating steam pockets that can lead to hot spots on the cylinder walls and then up to the heads at idle which can cause pre-ignition. Then there is cavitation (vapor bubbles) which disruptes water flow.....leading back to my first point. Again, just thoughts about the possible affects of Bill's mod, I have no proof of any foreseeable  problems. Having fun watchin the hemi get built... ^_^   

1st question,,,last pic,,,how is that brass fitting sealed to  that  steel part you made that  fits the end of the  head  water outlets ??

all tho  im  still messing with the front end,,i think i may  still have cooling problems, 241 hemi  ,ive been checking with a infer red  temp device,,,,knowing all the intake bolts go  in to water,,,,ive been checking the t  stat  housing,,,intake bolts and the  brass temp sending unit  on the back of the head in a plate like the one you made to  run your water tubes too,,,

the t stat and intake bolts read about the same,,,the electric sending unit metal  on the back of the head  reads  higher after the motor has run a while,,cant seem to find an  electric gauge that reads the same  as the  mechical  guage  i have  in the  heater bung on the  intake,,so  you may  be on to some thing  moving the  water around,,,,,

I'm planning to solder it all together although that will be a challenge.  All the pieces you see are loose and of diff. materials.  It's also required that the angle of the elbow, relative to the bolt holes be dead on for the tube fittings to thread on.   I'm trying to figger a way to fixture it.  I'll also take more heat than the propane torch so first thing today is to get the acetylene tank, which has languished in the back corner since the last century, filled. :o 

If your engine is in good tune, the cooling system is clean, you have a good radiator, and a fan mounted close, you should not have a cooling problem.  Chrysler Corp. did little more than that in the 50's.  A shroud would help if the problem is minimal.

I screwed around with electric temp gauges on two cars until I got smart enough to match the sending unit to the gauge.  All my cooling problems went away.  :lol: 

It only begins to care when heat develops.....creating steam pockets that can lead to hot spots on the cylinder walls and then up to the heads at idle which can cause pre-ignition. Then there is cavitation (vapor bubbles) which disruptes water flow.....leading back to my first point. Again, just thoughts about the possible affects of Bill's mod, I have no proof of any foreseeable  problems. Having fun watchin the hemi get built... ^_^   

Steam pockets are most often created by thin cylinder walls...too much overbore... The thin wall simply does not have the ability to absorb the combustion heat that is transferred through the iron. In severe cases the wall will crack.

Cavitation is not a huge issue in automobile engines, industry is a different subject.

As to Mr Bill and his project, awesome work!!

"Steam pockets are most often created by thin cylinder walls...too much overbore..."

I agree.....which happens with rebuilt engines.

"Cavitation is not a huge issue in automobile engines"

I come from racing which is how I've always looked a Hemis, so maybe that's where my concerns are coming from. ^_^

48D

link to quote below:

"In concert with water pump design, thermostats are designed to slightly restrict coolant flow from the engine. This restriction allows the water pump to build additional pressure in the engine water jackets to further reduce surface boiling on the cylinder heads and to reduce pressure on the radiator header tank at high engine speeds. At higher engine speeds, the water pump begins to “cavitate,” which means that the water pump speed has reached the point at which most of the coolant is no longer contacting the water pump impellor. At this point, a negative pressure develops along the surfaces of the water pump impellor that increases the tendency of the coolant to boil and the engine to overheat. In extreme cases, cavitation can erode water pump impellors and housings. Many performance engine builders address this problem by installing special pulleys to reduce water pump speed. Modern auto manufacturers are similarly addressing the cavitation problem with electric water pumps."

I'm planning to solder it all together although that will be a challenge.  All the pieces you see are loose and of diff. materials.  It's also required that the angle of the elbow, relative to the bolt holes be dead on for the tube fittings to thread on.   I'm trying to figger a way to fixture it.  I'll also take more heat than the propane torch so first thing today is to get the acetylene tank, which has languished in the back corner since the last century, filled. :o 

If your engine is in good tune, the cooling system is clean, you have a good radiator, and a fan mounted close, you should not have a cooling problem.  Chrysler Corp. did little more than that in the 50's.  A shroud would help if the problem is minimal.

I screwed around with electric temp gauges on two cars until I got smart enough to match the sending unit to the gauge.  All my cooling problems went away.  :lol: 

If soldering them turns out to be a problem could you change the fittings to pipe thread on one end or an ORB and tap the plates?

If soldering them turns out to be a problem could you change the fittings to pipe thread on one end or an ORB and tap the plates?

Could do that but wanted to get the elbow as close to the plate as possible and have the option to fine tune the angle to connect to the tube.

Decided to silver solder as I found some in my stash.  Went to refill the acetylene tank which turned out to be waaaaay expired.  Had to buy a new one.  Money I was not needing to spend.  Finally got to work to find out how much copper tube and steel plate don't like each other.  Patience and lotsa flux did the trick.  The assembly shown worked out okay.  The other side needs a little more work.  After all that, it will be painted. :huh: 

IMG_7878_zps57df9d09.jpg

-

IMG_7880_zpsd398066a.jpg

-

IMG_7881_zps40b982b7.jpg

Looking good. probably a silly question but what is the other outlet to the rear on the left side for?

That's a threaded boss which also ends up on the right front for accessories, i.e. generator or PS pump.

IMG_7890_zps7e7e689e.jpg

Looking good. probably a silly question but what is the other outlet to the rear on the left side for?

Doah!  :huh:   Tx Gary

That nipple is for my next visit to Canada ...........for a heater  :lol: 

• Like 1

And finally got all the lifters pre loaded via the adjustable push rods.  Boy, whadda pain!  Took about 5 hours.  Tough enough on a Chrysler but the Dodge Hemi is smaller to the point of it being like micro surgery.  You know those times when you gotta flip the open wrench over to take advantage of the 15 degree diff.  Well this takes two wrenches and flipping them both,...alternatively and remembering which way to turn.  The center sets are near impossible.  I've set aside the whole afternoon to check them one more time before buttoning it up.  Sure glad I only have to do it once. 

IMG_7895_zps0cdc2d48.jpg

billl nice job on the piping,,,,i agree setting those adjustable push  rods is a pain,,,when  i replaced  the lifters in  my  241,,,they were ticking  couldnt get them to stop,,,and had  only a  few miles on them,,,, i had to  re-engineer a  rocker tool because there wasnt  enough  room in the engine bay  to  swing it the way  it was designed,,,still have the  factory  inner fender wellls in my  40 coupe,,,

keep in  mind,,if for some reason the pipe  soldering  doesnt hold,,,hot heads  has/makes ? plates like you made  out of  aluminum,,,with  pipe  threads in them,,,  i used them  on the back of my 241 to  run  one of the heater hoses  out of,,,

I can't imagine trying to adjust those push-rods in any engine compartment.  That's a really discouraging prospect.  So I tend to believe I have done it "once and for all".

Speaking of engine compartments, next project is motor mounts.  Everything I could find was well over $100.00 so I decided to make my own.  If I'm lucky it will only cost me about $100.00 and about 100 hours :huh:  

IMG_7922_zps2c21ca04.jpg

-

IMG_7920_zps8140c796.jpg

-

Happy 4th everyone !