Voltage Regulator Problems

I have a 52 b3b and am having voltage regulator or generator problems.  I think the generator is working.  When I disconnect the wires from the generator and put a volt meter from the armature to ground and run a jumper wire from the battery negative terminal to the field terminal it appers to be charging.  My voltage regulator is not marked for Field or armature.  .  Is the bottom terminal on the left of  voltage regulator field or armature.  The terminal on the right should be battery.  When I go to dodge pilot house knowledge it shows all three terminals on the left side as you are looking at the regulator with the field terminal in the middle.Basicly batt field arm.  Does any know if mine is field arm or arm field on the left side.  Any help would be appreciated.  I tried posting a picture but was not able to as it was to big and I do not know how to make it smaller.   Larry

The regulator should be labeled somewhere to indicate the Battery, Field, and Armature connections. Some are stamped into the cover, "BAT", "FLD", and "ARM". Others may just have a small "B", "F", and "A" down near the base. I don't recall ever seeing one that wasn't labeled.

Merle

Thanks to Zen Master.  my regulator is not marked at all.  It may even be the wrong regulator.  thanks Larry

Click on the link that Keven posted earlier and look at Post #6 from Hank. His regulator is an aftermarket Echlin, likely from Napa. The lower right terminal is "Battery", the upper left terminal is the "Armature", and the middle one on the left is the "Field". If yours is similar to Hanks you can probably assume that the terminals are the same.

What was the output voltage of your generator when you jumped the Field wire to power? Unregulated output of the generator would probably be up around 8 or 9 volts. Check the voltage at the Battery terminal too to be sure the Circuit Breaker points are closing too.

Here are a couple of pages from my shop manual that show how to test the regulator.

Page161.jpg

Page162.jpg

You may want to bench test your generator and/or cleam up the commutator and check the brushes and springs to make sure that the brushes are making a strong enough contact with the surface of the comm.  If you need instructions on how to bench test I'll get them for you.  I just did this awhile ago-with the gen hooked up to a bat it should run like a motor and speed up and slow down as you full field it (disconnected from the regulator). Mike