Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

Cowl Vent Assembly Seals...

thrashingcows

Not sure if the Plymouth's and Dodges had the same fresh air assembly as the Desoto, and maybe Chrysler?

Well I've been rummaging through the archives, and around the internet, and have not been able to come up with a couple seals.  I have been able to find the main cowl vent seal...the one that mounts to the top of the cowl and then the vent lid closes down onto and seals.  What I'm now looking for are the other two seals on my main fresh air box assembly.

Here is the air box.

PICT7063_zpsb7762fec.jpg

PICT7065_zps2c1b150f.jpg

It mounts up under the dash, beneath the main fresh air cowl vent.  there is a seal that goes between the box and the under side of the cowl.  I will probably use some plumbers putty to seal this one. 

But then there is the lower fresh air door.

PICT7067_zps3c4a8c36.jpg

It had a seal that slipped over the outside edge, and then would seal against the inside of the main fresh air box.  This is the one I can't seem to find.

Anyone have any ideas?

Brian,

There's only a small mating surface but since it's holding back minimal pressure you could get by handly with some thin strips of rubber cut and glued to fit.  If you want to get persnickety you might trim any excess away from your line of sight.  Anything else would be overkill.

-Randy

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/index.php?/topic/25302-dual-heater-resto/page-2?hl=+fresh +heater

Steele rubber has the seal for the lower door. I had to make the top seal. I believe I made it out of truck topper seal. Its adhesive on one side so it will stay put while you install it.

Edited by Young Ed

Thanks for the suggestions.  I looked at the foam tape down at Home Depot, but I did not think that the cell ratio in the foam was dense enough to create a water tight seal.  That is why I'm going to use the plumbers putty.  And thanks for the link there Young Ed....Nice job you did on the dual heater set-up!  I will look again at Steeles website, but I did not see the lower air door seal when i went through it....maybe my eyes were tired and I glazed over it.

I have nothing under my cowl vent at all. Was there anything like this on a 50 Plymouth? I do not see anything in my service manual or parts book. Is this an option with a heater?? Sorry not trying to derail the thread.

Al

Thanks for the suggestions.  I looked at the foam tape down at Home Depot, but I did not think that the cell ratio in the foam was dense enough to create a water tight seal.  That is why I'm going to use the plumbers putty.  And thanks for the link there Young Ed....Nice job you did on the dual heater set-up!  I will look again at Steeles website, but I did not see the lower air door seal when i went through it....maybe my eyes were tired and I glazed over it.

You wont if you are searching for plymouth. For some reason even though that box is DPCD inclusive the seal is listed only under DCD.

I have nothing under my cowl vent at all. Was there anything like this on a 50 Plymouth? I do not see anything in my service manual or parts book. Is this an option with a heater?? Sorry not trying to derail the thread.

Al

Nope after the p15s the heater core moved to the right inner fender and was fresh air by drawing air at the grill through the heater core and then into the car.

This might sound like a silly question but as these type of heaters were never available on Oz mopars I have to ask..........these seals that you guys are asking about..........are either/any of them the same basic shape and overall length as the actual cowl vent seal that goes in the body channel?..........reason I ask is that I ordered the cowl vent seal from Steele Rubber last yr and what I got is the right shape and overall length but the completely wrong profile and while this seal I got would sit in the channel it was flat with a lip in profile and it would not have sealed properly........so I have this seal still in its Steele Rubber bag sitting on the shelf looking at me..........lol...........I ended up getting the right profiled seal for the cowl vent from Roberts Motor Parts..........curious about these seals....lol........andyd   

This might sound like a silly question but as these type of heaters were never available on Oz mopars I have to ask..........these seals that you guys are asking about..........are either/any of them the same basic shape and overall length as the actual cowl vent seal that goes in the body channel?..........reason I ask is that I ordered the cowl vent seal from Steele Rubber last yr and what I got is the right shape and overall length but the completely wrong profile and while this seal I got would sit in the channel it was flat with a lip in profile and it would not have sealed properly........so I have this seal still in its Steele Rubber bag sitting on the shelf looking at me..........lol...........I ended up getting the right profiled seal for the cowl vent from Roberts Motor Parts..........curious about these seals....lol........andyd   

Not really. One is solid rubber and not available. The other is rectangular and has a U profile to fit on each side of the metal door.

Andydodge...if you look at the seal carefully you should be able to see a number on it.  Steele puts there number on all their products. 

YoungEd...Thanks for the help...I found the seal on their website and have one on the way.  I also order the cowl vent seal as well.  Hope to have them by next week so I can get the air assembly back in.

This whats odd about this.........I have a Steele catalog, I ordered the correct seal as listed by their catalog and what turned up is the number I ordered and is listed in their catalog and its the wrong thing..........the right overall shape BUT the completely wrong profile for BOTH my Oz 1940 Dodge(US Plymouth cowl) and for my 1941 Plymouth which whilst was built in Sth Africa uses a USA Body..........the Steele seal has their name and the following part number on it.........40-0271-54.......which is whats listed in their catalog..............so I ordred the seal from Robets and got EXACTLY what I wanted ..........a seal which is the same overall shape as the Steel one BUT with the correct CURVED profile underneath so that it would fit in the cowl body channel and a different slightly wider profiled "lip" that the cowl vent seals against............andyd