Suspension

SSD

I had a crazy idea at the gym today, now guys relax its not for the dodge although thats what inspired it. The go-to for lowering a truck is MII or some other coil-spring and A-arm set up and 4 link in the back, now this is left field but since 50s trucks have a solid axle couldn't you use something like the 25and 3500 Dodges you know coil-springs or coil overs or air-bags and upper and lower control arms and sway-bar ect. I don't see how it wouldn't work. Any Ideas?

What is your ultimate plan for this truck? What are your skill levels? The truck looks to be complete. And I believe you mentioned it was running to load it on the trailer. I dont want to burst your bubble but too many times I have seen guys take a truck/car in much the same condition as yours and the first thing they do is strip it down to the frame. Next thing they do is let it set for a few years then sell it in pieces and most of these pieces are crushed. It is your truck and you can do with it as you please. But I would suggest you get it road worthy and drive it. Once you have a feel for what it is then make alterations to your liking one step at a time. You will find a lot of support on this forum for what ever direction you want to go.

I agree with Don. I completely rebuilt my truck (original) before I ever had a chance to drive it. When I drove it I was totally surprised at how well it drove and how easy. I knew that Mopar was light years ahead of all the other makes on their steering gears and vehical ride and I was still surprised. Give it a shot before you spend your $$$.

No you guys misunderstood thats not for the dodge just a idea no the dodge is to nice to go cutting on. My skill level is up to anything I under take I have built 3 bikes and several trucks/cars. Like i said it was just a random idea I get them sometimes and it will become a obsession until i can bounce them off of folks like yourself.

I've discovered that creativity is always appreciated on this forum even though most members are not radical "rebuilders". Creativity has given us good disc brakes,  rear axle choices, Cherokee master cylinders, etc,

There's a lot of factors to take into consideration when modifying a suspension and steering system,  Using parts from a 25 or 3500 series would mean you're basically going to do all the engineering yourself at an expense equal to that of purchasing a system known to work. Components are similar to that of a M II and function the same way so they could work.   Ram suspension is designed for a wider frame and track width as well as a fairly long wheelbase so you could up with some weird bump steer issues on a short wheelbase.  Kelderman's have bag systems for trucks.    I'm not sure if the control arms on the Rams are aluminum or not but if they are it makes it more difficult to modify them for use with bags or coilovers.

You'd have to scale everything down to fit the miniscule frame rails of any pre-1961 Dodge truck. The frames on 1 tons and lighter were tiny compared to 61 and up versions. My 92 and 94 Rangers have taller frame rails than my 49 Pilot House, and the metal is thicker. My 69 D100 is a monster compared to my 49 B1B.

I can understand keeping truck parts on truck frames. S10 and Dakota parts are fairly easy, you can modify Ranger/Bronco 2/forst gen Explorer to work fairly easily. Full sized donors? Not so easy except for a couple rear axles. The front end parts on the newer trucks are too big.

The closest found OEM parts donor to a direct bolt in is C4 Corvette IFS and IRS. 1/16" difference in chassis width versus a Pilot House B1 or B2 1/2 ton.

Full out chassis swaps can be done on standard cab short wheelbase Dakota, Ranger or Toyota platforms. Fullsized donors include K5, Ramcharger, Jeep Scramblers and the like. New mounts, cab floor mods, frame trimming and such are necessary.