1948 Dodge Pilot House / Dakota frame swap

Apittslife

i have learned though not to complain about having to much work. cause you could blink an eye and have none that quick

Too true!

But At the moment I have some money put aside to get things done on the truck.

I had hoped to have the body in primer by spring. Not going to happen now. :(

Too true!

But At the moment I have some money put aside to get things done on the truck.

I had hoped to have the body in primer by spring. Not going to happen now. :(

that hurts. i've been in that situation too. a bigger problem is i  start to feel guilty when i start to work on my project. all i think about then is that i should be on a customers car

Hopefully, You are feeling better & got that out of the way for the year. :D

I hope so too,Spring is on the way and nicer weather so that'll make it more enjoyable out in the garage.

-Chris

• Like 1

Hi, Nowhereman, glad to see ya on this forum. I have been following your build on the HAMB.  I go by Moparman4gzuz on that site.

yeah i guess i get around LOL.  i am also on "FOR DODGE TRUCKS ONLY" link below i have a need to celebrate the dodge in the way others do the bow ties and blue ovals. 

• 2 months later...

Well, I may actually be able to resume work on my truck in the next couple weeks. Yay!  Between Work, The Weather, & Life in general, I haven't been able to do any work on my project.

I have finally found a Cummins 4BT Engine at a realistic price, & am hoping to pick it up tomorrow evening, as long as it is as he stated. :D 

The Owner bought it for a Jeep/Cummins swap, But has decided not to go with the 4BT. It is a 1990 Model that came out of a Bread Truck, He states that it is complete with a ford adapter plate& flywheel, & that it ran Good when pulled.

So the first thing I need to do, is remove the junk V-6 & transmission. :rolleyes:

And then there where two, hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D  Im excited for your 4bt, we can both learn stuff from each others swaps. Im assuming this is a VE pumped 4bt since its a '90 model, are you going to do any engine power upgrades? Also what'd you plan on using for a tranny standard or auto?

-Chris

Edited by 1952B3b23

Here are 3 Pictures of the engine, when we removed it from the back of my Boss's truck. Paid $1,400.00 for it! I didn't even try to talk him down to a lower price!

It is a VE Injection Pump, with a Manual Fuel pump, & rear sump.

It has a Vacuum Pump for power brakes, But NO power steering pump ( So I will have to Purchase a Power steering Pump assy ).

It has the starter, a Huge Ford Alternator on it, with the 8 groove surp-belt, & has all the wiring, including Battery Cables.

I am going to try to start it in the next few days, to make sure she is sound. But first I have to give it a visual inspection.

I am going to run an Automatic Transmission, Which one? Most likely a Ford or Chrysler. Everything I currently own is manual trans, & to be honest, I am lookin forward to having an Automatic. :D

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/Apittslife/IMG_20130523_214716_zps93bca1e5.jpg

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/Apittslife/IMG_20130523_214654_zpse33639a7.jpg

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/Apittslife/IMG_20130523_214434_zps48d429da.jpg

Removed the V-6 & it's transmission, Removed the factory motor mounts, & did some initial measurements.

Removed the 4BT's Down-pipe, & the Intake piping so I could see the Turbo vanes, looks good to me, & they spin freely. I also turned the engine over by hand twice, & it turned smoothly as well, & the engine oil is where it is suppose to be.

Tuesday, I will be getting a transmission case from the local transmission shop, so I can locate the Drive-train where they will work best, & fab-up the motor mounts, & transmission cross-member. At the moment, it looks like I may have to cut into the rear section of the front cross-member, so I have room for the oil pan sump.

Once I am finished with the case,The Transmission Shop is going to build a Ford small block AOD transmission to mount behind the 4BT.  

Damb, it never fails!  :( 

Have been busy at work all week, so I didn't get to work on the Dodge. And I have to go on an 18 hour road trip tomorrow, to pick up a street-rod, so my week-end is shot. <_<

But trips like that help to pay the bills, & ultimately helps fund my toys. :P

I did get the chance to talk more with the transmission guru today, & He is confident that a Ford AOD with a Cable Detent will be a good fit for my build, as I really do not feel the need to get more the 200 HP out of the Cummins, & it will be road driven, with only moderate towing. I am looking for Mileage So I will start out with it in stock trim, & make adjustments & mods one or two at a tyme, & see if they are positive or negative changes. 

Have a good weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Was cruising Craigs List yesterday afternoon, & came across an add for a Chrysler Diesel Transmission (47RH) for sale, He is doing a Cummins/Ford swap so Along with the Transmission I am also getting the Trans adapter & Drive shaft. He needs to remove them from the truck so I will be going to get them later this week. :D

Thanks Chris, I am Hoping it will. :D

I will have to do the pressure switch mods for the Lock-out & Over-drive, But they seem to be pretty straight forward. So I will be able to keep things simple under the hood.

The trans is from a '95 Ram 2500. the Owner/Seller says that it was rebuilt about a yr ago, & he drove it for about 3 months before pulling the engine for his swap.

So far I have been doing good keeping the costs down, & hope to keep doing so.

by following this a bit I take it the 94 up diesel automatics were still hydraulic shift ?...would have thought that the move to solenoids would have been across the board.....

From the bit of reading I have just done, It is Electronic. But it is easily modified to work with out the PCM

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=156988    http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/94-trans-93-t114702p2.html

Thanks Chris, I am Hoping it will. :D

I will have to do the pressure switch mods for the Lock-out & Over-drive, But they seem to be pretty straight forward. So I will be able to keep things simple under the hood.

The trans is from a '95 Ram 2500. the Owner/Seller says that it was rebuilt about a yr ago, & he drove it for about 3 months before pulling the engine for his swap.

So far I have been doing good keeping the costs down, & hope to keep doing so.

I just read over the link you posted to the OD fix so that it runs without the PCM and it looks like a pretty straight forward fix. The best part of that is there are plenty of other folks that have messed around with that stuff and have workable solutions, just need to pick their brains.

You got lucky on finding that rebuilt 47RH, that'll be more than stout enough to handle the 4bt. Keeping cost down is definitely a good thing, especially when dealing with diesels and all the parts that go along with them they can be very pricey. Im still jealous of the deal you scored on the 4bt, i paid $2,400 (running condition) for mine and i thought i was getting a deal haha  :P 

-Chris