Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

48 Pilot House panel on a Dakota?

Paneleer

Bud did it

Poorboy did it

and before the one voice that always claims a subframe weld on is better than attempting a frame swap chimes in, we have heard it! As I searched frame swap threads, your "rubber stamp posting" claiming it is not a valid option always appears. We have all been witness to your opinion. Thanks anyway.

For anyone that has good info on this endeavor, I am more than open to hearing from you, you may contact me through this site.

I have source a 96 Dakota sport, 108" wheelbase. Has a good running 3.9 and a strong trans, good brakes, ac etc. Just has some rusted rockers and wheel wells. Since the body is insignificant, it is a donor, in the name of science of course.

I think we need a new classification called "Graft Rods". I have read more than a few threads where others, like me, opt for the smooth ride of the newer chassis, but, do not feel the need to build a 720hp engine to power it around town as a near daily driver. Old looking bodies get grafted on to newer chassis or components thereof, and the owner has a newer vehicle ride, but retains the older vehicle look.

So poorboy (I loved your coupe project and how well it was detailed) and bud, please, feel free to contact me, I would enjoy sharing in your knowledge.

daPaneleer

All right here we go. I am by no means an expert, but here's what I have done. I started by putting a volare clip on my original frame. After that I decided that I wanted to airbag the Panel. After taking some measurements and eyeballing the Dakota frame I thought it would be better to use the Dakota front suspension and build my frame from there back. The problem with the Dakota frame is the giant kick up behind the cab. I didn't like where it was going to end up on my truck. Another issue is the wheelbase is a little off. The panel is 108" and the Dakota is in the neighborhood of 112-114 I don't remember. Here are some pics just to show you where I'm at. Far from done, but my general layout is there. Any questions let me know, andrew...

post-2712-13585365517_thumb.jpg

post-2712-13585365517487_thumb.jpg

post-2712-13585365518009_thumb.jpg

post-2712-13585365518368_thumb.jpg

post-2712-13585365518848_thumb.jpg