318 into my '50 Coronet

FESTER60

I'm not sure what the exact situation FESTER60 is running into, but with the 318 in it's proper position in my 48 P15, there's just not enough clearance between the shifting mechanism on the column and the engine for the shifting lever to rotate properly!! Cass, alias littlemo..:( ( Add: FESTER60 do you have pics of your column and shifting lever??)

post-6972-13585366585368_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585366586098_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585366586702_thumb.jpg

Edited by littlemo

just an idea i had considered,,havent gotten this far yet,,but would there be enough room to use the column shifted trans if you converted the column linkage to use a cable, off of the column lever ?? i have seen this done before in other conversions...just my 2 cents,,,

I'm not sure what the exact situation FESTER60 is running into, but with the 318 in it's proper position in my 48 P15, there's just not enough clearance between the shifting mechanism on the column and the engine for the shifting lever to rotate properly!! Cass, alias littlemo..:( ( Add: FESTER60 do you have pics of your column and shifting lever??)

I was thinking the same thing. Not enough room. I have cut all the old shifting pieces off my column. I will almost surely go with a floor shifter.

Fester, I noticed in your pics that you have one of those 'orange' oil filters. I strongly recommend replacing it with something like a Wix.

There are way too many bad stories centered around 'those' filters.

I was thinking the same thing. Not enough room. I have cut all the old shifting pieces off my column. I will almost surely go with a floor shifter.

I'm putting a 318 in my '48 at the moment. I haven't got all the linkage figured out yet but what I did was to take that bottom nut on the column loose and turn the ring so my lever in the car was up in the "park position" and the ring that moves the shift rod was up as high as it could be with the engine in place. I think I should be able to bend the rods to work the shifter. The 904 trans I have has park in the back and the gears go forward. I can use the stock bellcrank to move it. I'll get some pics when I start the bending process.

Here's what I did to get a column shifter in my 360 P-15. The trans is an OD version of the 904. It took some bendin and fabin and creative pairing of stock bits and pieces, and I was still able to use some of the stock mounting points. The column was originally from a 50 Ford but in retrospect, I see no reason why the Mopar one would not do as well.

(I think it was because I liked the Ford steering wheel :o)

Img_0579a.jpg

Here's what I did to get a column shifter in my 360 P-15. The trans is an OD version of the 904. It took some bendin and fabin and creative pairing of stock bits and pieces, and I was still able to use some of the stock mounting points. The column was originally from a 50 Ford but in retrospect, I see no reason why the Mopar one would not do as well.

Img_0579a.jpg

That is one slick piece of engineering; looks great!

[ The column was originally from a 50 Ford but in retrospect, I see no reason why the Mopar one would not do as well.

-

Now I remember. Might also have been because the Plymouth column was on the side,....the opposite side from where I needed the shift lever.

Ah yep ! That's why we're having the trouble we're having; trying to use the stock column with the shifting lever being on the "right" (passenger side, not antonym for wrong) side of the column. Just "not enough clearance" !! Cass, alias littlemo...:eek: Add; FESTER60 ; After reviewing your progress pics, I think I see one of my problems: I'm trying to locate my engine too low in the frame??? falconfan; I definitely want to take a quick "look-see" at that linkage when I come up!! daddyo23; Still waiting for those pics !!!

Edited by littlemo

For me it was a lot of eyeballin'. I pushed, shoved and jerked that hoist a long time before I thought it looked right. Mostly I used the exhaust manifold and steering column as a guide. When that looked right, that's where it went.

Will you have enough room to install your valve covers, or will your firewall require a rather severe modification, and if so, how will that effect your heater ??? Cass...:confused:

Valve cover are on right now. I just had them off in the pics. I will be dimpling the drivers side firewall for a little extra clearance. The stock heater is gone. I snagged an under dash heater/defroster unit off e-bay to replace it. I am reconditioning it now. Here are before/after pics of my "new" valve covers.

post-7749-13585366850101_thumb.jpg

post-7749-1358536685037_thumb.jpg

Seems also like a custom exhaust header on the driver's side would do the trick. The part that seems to be hitting is a lump of cast iron, a custom header would be much thinner; it could route away from your steering arm and otherwise mimic the manifold you have. There are some drawbacks to custom headers of course; just thinking of options.

• 1 month later...

The heater is done but not installed yet. I have been working on the MC setup, floor pan fab, trunk hinge repair, etc. I am going to the spring Jefferson WI. show and swapmeet next weekend. I hope to pick up some more parts there.

what is your exhaust manifold off of i am trying to put a 318 in my 51 ply club coupe i changed my steering to 1990 chevy cavilier rack & pinion but still having problems with exhaust and steering fester engine looks like it is setting high wonder if he had to alter trans tunnel

what is your exhaust manifold off of i am trying to put a 318 in my 51 ply club coupe i changed my steering to 1990 chevy cavilier rack & pinion but still having problems with exhaust and steering fester engine looks like it is setting high wonder if he had to alter trans tunnel

The manifold came with the engine. I will be painting or powder coating before final install. This was the norm for the A body cars. No issues with the transmission tunnel. Fit like a glove. Steering column is stock. On a related thread, I picked up my new tie rod ends today. $101.00 out the door for all four at a local part store. There are alternatives to $65 ea. at Kantor's if you look around.