Turn Signal Indicator Light

Mark D

I've got a turn signal indicator light mounted in the center dash mounted below the ash tray in the place that I've seen most cigar lighters located at. Problem is that I can't get the darn thing to work with the signals. I've replaced the 6v three prong flasher, rewired the bulb socket (and checked that the bulb worked in the socket). All turn signals on the exterior of the car work correctly but I cannot get that light to work when its plugged into the flasher monitor terminal. If I unplug the lead from the bulb and touch the output terminal on the flasher the bulb lights up. Any suggestions? Currently the flash is just tucked up under the dash near the ignition switch. Does the body of the flasher need to be grounded? Can anyone else with factory fitted turn signals confirm the indicator light is original? :confused:

post-7609-13585361582176_thumb.jpg

That is not a factory turn signal indicator. It was part of the highbeam indicator. And to answer your question I've had many issues with bad flashers not lighting up the inside bulb. Went through 3 from napa and now one from O'Reilly that didn't work right out of the box. My next step will most likely be to go to a salvage yard with old cars and snag a few 50yo ones that'll probably last me a lot longer.

I think you have a loss of continunity problem. On any electrical application a power source must go through whatever device (in your case a bulb) and return to the opposide side of the application usually refered to as a ground either positive or negative. I suggest you check to make sure your bulb has a means to complete this line of continunity. I suspect your cigar lighter is acting as an insulator