grease cap

What is the diameter of the grease cap for the 1950 3/4 ton PH pickup front axle. I don't have a good caliper so I can't measure the one I have left. One fell off this weekend. Mine is just under 2 inches, but new ones are 1.943, 1.96, and 1.98 (at least those I have found online so far).

Rob

What is the diameter of the grease cap for the 1950 3/4 ton PH pickup front axle. I don't have a good caliper so I can't measure the one I have left. One fell off this weekend. Mine is just under 2 inches, but new ones are 1.943, 1.96, and 1.98 (at least those I have found online so far).

Rob

Don't have a truck parts book to check, but for a lot of years Plymouth cars (and the 1930s Plymouth trucks) used part 600183. Mitchell Motors online search shows they have one.

I took my banged up ones into the trailer shop in town and they matched them up. The trick to installing them without bashing them is to use a piece of pipe, circ.tube, metal conduit, etc. that will rest on that wee li'l shoulder and drive smartly. When the hub caps are popped off of mine, that cap looks brand new, like it was installed by a pro & not by a grease monkey.

I took my banged up ones into the trailer shop in town and they matched them up. The trick to installing them without bashing them is to use a piece of pipe, circ.tube, metal conduit, etc. that will rest on that wee li'l shoulder and drive smartly. When the hub caps are popped off of mine, that cap looks brand new, like it was installed by a pro & not by a grease monkey.

Do you have a receipt showing the manufacturer and part number for the cap that you got? I'd like to add it to my database...

Rob

How much under 2 inches? 1.96 and 1.98 seem like they'd be classified as "just under 2 inches". I guess I should get a pair of calipers on my spare drum...

Gave Mitchell Motors a call and I'm not arguing that NOS parts are not worth every penny if you are lucky enough to find what you're looking for but at $24.95 ea. I'm hoping to find another alternative.

Hank :)

Assuming that the "just under 2 inches" is correct, then this looks like a manufacturer that might make a suitable one: http://www.wedgeproducts.com/grease-caps-axle-caps.html

Their order quantities are pretty big, but they have part numbers. So searching on "grease cap 21-3" turns up a number of on-line retailers that carry that part number for between $1 and $2 ea. I'd probably go to a local trailer supply store where I could look one over and measure it before buying though....