Distributor Identification

I have two Distributors that I'd like to know their Application. I realize that somehow they need to be linked to an engine serial number because you can't just say it's for a 51 B3B if that truck is running a 1948 engine block. I'm not sure of what sources of discovery are out there. I have a parts manual and although they list a good many, I can't seem to identify these two from their Red Tags:

Distributor #1

p/n 1269126

1AT-4003A

s/n 9E321484

Distributor #2

p/n 1479588

1AT-4102

s/n 2H384367

Appreciate the help,

Hank :confused:

Hank , My information is from a MOTORS MANUAL dated 1954 , so if your distributors also fit something later than that , I don't know . Also I only looked under the mopar vehicles so they may fit other makes as well . I looked up the information using the distributor model numbers only . Also I didn't find a model IAT 4003A , only a IAT 4003 . Here goes : IAT 4003 fits 1950 Plymouth & Dodge . IAT 4102 fits 6 cylinder 1953 & 1954 Chrysler and Desoto .

Jerry, Thanks for responding. I did have a chance to Google and came up with this link:

http://www.hagensautoparts.com

The guy on the phone helped me while I was online. He said to keep it simple so I typed in the IAT-4003 (without the "A") into the search field. A line of text appeared and when you click on the small icon of a car it yielded the following information for both the IAT-4003 and the IAT-4003-A. What I especially found useful is that the first four digit engine prefix is given.

IAT-4003

1950 Dodge Truck B2B-108 1/2ton 217.8-6cyl 3-1/4x4-3/8 (T172)

IAT-4102

1951 Chrysler C51 Windsor, 250.6-6cyl 3-7/16 Bore

1953 Chrysler C60 Windsor, 264.5-6-6cyl 3-7/16 Bore (Uh-Oh, car side)

Thank again (hope this helps someone else out too)

Hank :)

• Like 1

The distributors will fit 23 inch to 23 inch and 25 in to 25 in. However the drive tangs are longer for the long block motors. Also there are at least 3 distinct body and cap designs, and some points mount on the top of the breaker plate and some on the bottom, the caps do not interchange betweent he body styles.

Now the good news, I ran my 46 distributor in my 56 engine with no porblems. I have 3, I took them all to a shop that had an old sun distrubutor machine, and checked their advance curves against the factory specs and selected the one that best matched those. As it happened if it from a 54 Dodge pickup.

The vacuum and centrifigul advance starts at different rpms, and different inches of vacuum, but these differences are minimal between 100 rpms and an inch or 2 of vaccum.

So the main difference between long block application and short block it the longer drive tang on the long block units.