Windshield Inside Garnish Molding Question

Guest philedmonds

Guest philedmonds

i have removed the inside garnish molding from my 1949 B1FA and noticed that a thin welting was stapled to the edges that contact the other metal parts. I haven't seen this on old cars I have restored and was wondering if it is really necessary to replace it. does anyoe have any advice or suggestions? Thanks.

Hi-I think its just a trim piece, not any type of a seal. I tried to modify some rubber fender welting that I had, but then the garnish pcs didn't fit properly-the welting was too thick. I went w/o it-just the windshield gasket and the mouldings. They must have not been too concerned with the longevity of these trucks (like they were supposed to last 40+ yrs) with the paper firelwall, interior, and cotton welting in a cab that leaked when new! Mike

• 5 years later...
I just used fender welting from Roberts. Use a small piece to determine how much of the skirt should remain then trim with a straight edge and razor knife. Or, Hint: Match what was there and replace in kind.

Not a biggy,

Hank :)

Thanks Hank!

Did you have to make small relief cuts for the corners?

Keven

I made mine from table cloth weight vinyl sewn over weed eater string. If you want it to look more "correct" , get a couple 2" wide strips of outdoor weight light black material, canvas or rip stop nylon work well.

Making your own welting is easy. You can skip the stitching and just glue the stuff up, ask the lady at the fabric store for a glue that is water proof when dry. Wrap it, glue it, hold the thing closed with binder clips until the glue is fully dry.

If your little retainers on the back side of the frame are broken, beading wire or floral wire work great...

I made mine from table cloth weight vinyl sewn over weed eater string. If you want it to look more "correct" , get a couple 2" wide strips of outdoor weight light black material, canvas or rip stop nylon work well.

Making your own welting is easy. You can skip the stitching and just glue the stuff up, ask the lady at the fabric store for a glue that is water proof when dry. Wrap it, glue it, hold the thing closed with binder clips until the glue is fully dry.

If your little retainers on the back side of the frame are broken, beading wire or floral wire work great...

Thanks for the tip Scruffy!

Son in law had a lot of fender welting left over from a 74 volkswagon project that worked for my truck.

• 2 weeks later...
Try this link from dennis carpenter. His product is what I used.

Dennis Carpenter Industries...http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/

pn 48-16070

or try this link

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000024c~Z5Z5Z51578~P15.00~~~~S3OT0P7X1W19915619014a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000024

Thanks DD.

Have you had a chance to talk with David Harris?

Keven