Generator/Alternator help please

Jason Hyde

Gday All,

I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction for assistance. I'm restoring my 1949 DE4-52 Dodge dump truck down here in Oz. My truck was fitted with a newer alternator but I have the old generator(?) that I'm looking to getting restored and putting back on the truck. Attached is a few photos of it. My question is does anybody know a good auto electrician that they have used to work on these type to bring them back to working order. I'm in LA at the end of Feb and will bring the unit over from Australia and post it off if someone can recommend please. West Coast maybe??

Cheers

Jase

post-7428-13585359500493_thumb.jpg

post-7428-13585359501079_thumb.jpg

IF no one local to the area chimes in, google shows a number of Auto Electric shops in the LA and surrounding area...perhaps a quick question on the HAMB would go far as lots of those guys still run original equipment on their beasts...the AACA also has a forum that reaches a great number of people in the old car range and these folks are mainly vintage iron folks...

Gosh, in the States there are shops all over that still work on generators. Many of the farm machines (tractors/threshers,etc.) still in use were set up to use (usually) six volt generators, so any farm State has them.

It was one of those shops in Oklahoma (not far from where I live) that rebuilt the generator and starter for my 1948 New Yorker.

On the Web there are companies that convert genertors to alternators in your choice of voltage. Those tend to be a bit pricey.

But, down under, should have plenty of shops that do work on farm equipment, and can easily rebuild your generator and your starter. Look around, ask around locally, and check the Web for shops in your area.

Good Luck!!