Vin locations on a 50 Dodge

PhilJohnson

I bought a 50 Dodge that came with an incorrect title (51 Dodge). I got a PO out to verify the VIN. Unfortunately we could only locate it in one spot (Wisconsin requires two spots). The guy at the DMV told me I could get a new VIN assigned in that case. I thought about having the trooper come out again and right a statement explaining that the VIN was only found in one spot but maybe there is another spot on the car where there is a VIN. Are there other places I can look (already looked on the motor, no luck).

Hey Phil, congrats on the "new" car!

I had a similar issue of getting a WI title for my 49 Chrysler. The california title listed the engine number as a VIN# on the title. The WI DMV had trouble accepting an engine ID as a VIN. Instead got the VIN number changed. Got a form, had the PO come over and verify the VIN on the door frame, and showed the engine ID on the car that matched the CA title. Also had an appraisal that showed both the VIN and engine number (didnt need it, but was nice to show the DMV person that I had my research and wasn't trying to mess up the system or anything). It was a piece of cake. I honestly believe 80% of your luck with the DMV is how well you interact with that particular person. If you go with the VIN change it should hopefully be hassle free like mine. Maybe you can show them a production number print out page from a manual that lists th VIN # ranges for the 1950 Dodges. Good luck!

What number is on the registration/title? the serial Number or the engine number. If its the engine number and its teh origianl engine, there is sometimes a duplicate of the engine number stamped into the frame above the drivers side rear wheel.. But if the engine has ben changed, it probabl won't help you.

And which number was used as has been discussed many tme here varied by state and some time within the state. My car registered in NY uses the serial number of the A pillar plate, but member Shel's Dodge located up in the Adirodack region is registered by engine number. Our DMV offices are run by the various county clerks and use one or the other by local habit. As standardized VIN numbers did not exist prior to the mid 60's, it seems this discrepency continues to trip folks up when trying to title or resisters these old cars. And the propensity to keep these running by swapping in later junkyard engines dod not help.

Are you sure your 50 is a 51 The engine number should start with D 33 or D 34 for a 50, and D41 or D42 for a 51, the lower numbers used on the base Wayfarer trim models.

Meadowbrook and coronets having the higher numbers per year.

My VIN book says for a 1946-1953 Dodge it is:

Engine number: located on the left side of the block, just below the

cylinder head, at front.

Serial number: From January 21, 1946, on plate attached to left front door

hinge pillar post.

If it would help, I could scan the cover of the book and the relevant pages and send them to you. :o

You could probably also have the DMV call the Chrysler Historical collection with the serial number from the tag on the door post. They can confirm the original engine number from the serial number if that is what the existing paperwork has on it even if the engine has been swapped out.

And, unlike a 1960s something and up vehicle, there is only one place on the car that has the serial number. So looking for a second one will be a lot of wasted time.

I am assuming that "PO" in the post was "police officer" rather than "previous owner" based on the comment about having the trooper come out again...

PO was referring to police officer. The title that had came with the car did not match a single number on the entire vehicle. Also since the car is obviously not a 51 I figured the title was completely incorrect. A little digging by the guy I had bought it from (who is a stand up fellow) found that this thing has been floating around with the wrong title since at least the early 80s.

I have trouble getting a PO out to my place, the local sheriff's deputies were of zero help and gave me tons of attitude :( The trooper that did it for me last time doesn't always patrol by me so it is a crap shoot when I'll be able to have it done again :S

Hey Phil,

If that's the case you may have to go the route of a lost title. I had to do that with a moped. Its like $75. You fill out a form, get as much prior ownership history (who you bought it from, who they bought it from) and then a police officer comes over and records the VIN number. They then run the VIN number to see if it shows up as stolen. You write a little paragraph explaining the mix-up and then mail it off and wait a few weeks to see if its approved. Just make sure you keep the Dodge locked up in the meantime. Someone stole my moped in the process. Ironic. :(

Another option is you could give me the car. GA doesn't require a title for vehicles made before 1960...I promise I'll take good care of her!:D