2011 the year of no excuses

Aussie D25

2011 hit me about as severely as the sunburn I sustained at my NYE pool party.

This year there are no excuses, I have made every excuse conceivable as to why my car isn't on the road yet.

*Its too cold to paint

*I don't have the right tools

*I need a better workspace with benches and storage

*I'm not sure what I am doing

*The guys in the club said they would help me but no one has come around yet

*I don't have enough money

*I'm just too busy

Its all crap, I have wasted hours of my time playing online computer games, loads of $'s on eBay nick knacks, I have a 5m x 7m colorbond shed with enough tools to get me started.

Granted I am unsure of what to do First, next, last but there is plenty of others that do ... youtube has helped so far with knocking out some dents hammer and dolly style to my surprise I am quite good at it.

The first step is to admit that I have a problem and here goes ... My name is Michael and I am am easily distracted, lazy and frightened of unsupervised automotive bodywork/mechanics.

To make up for the 10 years of procrastination while owning my car I am going to post an update each week as to what I have done to get my car back on the road and looking nice.

I need you guys to be my harshest critics and if you don't think I am pulling my weight I want you to let me have it.

I had a nice quiet day yesterday so I sat down and tapped out some dents in the right hand rocker panel trim although there are still ripples it looks much better than having that massive dent in it.

Happy new year by the way... stay tuned for next weeks update.

post-1838-13585358789177_thumb.jpg

post-1838-13585358789916_thumb.jpg

post-1838-13585358790829_thumb.jpg

post-1838-13585358792205_thumb.jpg

Aussie D25,

You can't use those excuses because I adopted them as my own more than ten years ago, but I'll share them with you if I may plagiarize your work schedule. I doubt I'll make a weekly posting but I am going to make a list of what needs to be done to Pigiron (my '48 P-15) and keep it in plain sight rather than in the back of my mind, and there will be at least one item checked-off each week. (Checking two items in one week will not count as two week's work; a new rule I just made for myself.)

Want to race to completion? I simply won't be able to afford a new headliner but the lack of a headliner hasn't kept a lot of other cars off the road.

Great idea!

-Randy

2011 hit me about as severely as the sunburn I sustained at my NYE pool party.

This year there are no excuses, I have made every excuse conceivable as to why my car isn't on the road yet.

*Its too cold to paint

*I don't have the right tools

*I need a better workspace with benches and storage

*I'm not sure what I am doing

*The guys in the club said they would help me but no one has come around yet

*I don't have enough money

*I'm just too busy

Its all crap, I have wasted hours of my time playing online computer games, loads of $'s on eBay nick knacks, I have a 5m x 7m colorbond shed with enough tools to get me started.

Granted I am unsure of what to do First, next, last but there is plenty of others that do ... youtube has helped so far with knocking out some dents hammer and dolly style to my surprise I am quite good at it.

The first step is to admit that I have a problem and here goes ... My name is Michael and I am am easily distracted, lazy and frightened of unsupervised automotive bodywork/mechanics.

To make up for the 10 years of procrastination while owning my car I am going to post an update each week as to what I have done to get my car back on the road and looking nice.

I need you guys to be my harshest critics and if you don't think I am pulling my weight I want you to let me have it.

I had a nice quiet day yesterday so I sat down and tapped out some dents in the right hand rocker panel trim although there are still ripples it looks much better than having that massive dent in it.

Happy new year by the way... stay tuned for next weeks update.

Good luck

like eating an elephant..one piece at a time..but I will warn you..if that elephant is running back and forth about town..it will take forever..but you can have fun driving it..but by the time you get it all finished for paint..you will find a ton of stuff that need attention due tyo being on the road...hard to win..but you are right..a schedule is good..myself..I set no deadlines..

I hear y'all loud & clear...I've had the '48 & '49 up on blocks while I did research & treasure-hunted on eBay & Craigslist the past year, in-between working on my and my parents' houses simultaneous remodels. The '03 Regal got new brakes, struts, hubs & CV joints back in June, and just started on the '02 Ram CTD brakes & 4x4 service...PM coolant flushes, hoses & t-stats before summer for both.

I'm glad I've held off on doing the frame-offs after joining this site last year. After reading practically every post on this site while watching TV in the evenings, bookmarking dozens of websites gleaned from these posts, and taking lots of notes in the ol' spiral notebook, I reckon I'm gonna make more progress in less time because I'll have the information I need to get the job done efficiently. Body work should be interesting as I've made only amateur attempts on the tractors I've fixed up, but I reckon I can get the hang of it like I did with all of the painting I've done over the years.

Deadlines are good motivators, but keeping a log of work done can also be a good motivator. Keeping track of progress (or lack of) can be an impetus of going to the next task, and then the next, and so on. As the winter is upon us, I reckon doing the little stuff can go a long way in reaching the finish line. For example, I've got a few steering wheels that need patching & cleaning up, I reckon I could take a swing at that when it's sub-freezing out.

And winning the lottery probably would be a nice thing to make all this happen a li'l quicker :cool:

Aussie D25,

Want to race to completion? I simply won't be able to afford a new headliner but the lack of a headliner hasn't kept a lot of other cars off the road.

Challenge Accepted !!!

I have a very nice head liner in a brown vinyl? which I hope to change out for a perforated light grey. (might put it up for sale if all goes well changing it out)

My industrial sewing machine is about as old as the car itself yet I am told by my Fiance's mother (sewing jedi) that it will do fine for redoing my interior.

I got my compressor working again today after having to change out the compression switch (first one melted as per attached image)

With my compressor working again I got busy with the hammer and dolly and knocked out the remaining dents in the right rear fender. (not bad for a novice)

I have a vision of what I want and have already procured the paint for.

Gloss Black in an ISO free 2 Pak with candy red highlights inside as per attached image.

I'm going to try my hand at the candy marbling that was featured in Fireballs post http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=18275&highlight=custom+dash

Woo hoo cant wait to paint! :D

post-1838-13585358795126_thumb.jpg

post-1838-13585358797361_thumb.jpg

post-1838-13585358799395_thumb.jpg

post-1838-13585358799784_thumb.jpg

post-1838-13585358804334_thumb.jpg