ok, I think I have stuffed up!

I just wacked my welshplugs in , but I think they are driven in tofar..looking at all the comments on this link..http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=16887&highlight=wels+plugs

I gave them a couple of smacks using a ballpen hamer as the drift.. I did use Jag sealer with it..:cool:

Unless you are dead-nuts-perfect and get the hammer positioned right in the center, you are asking for trouble either now or worse, the unforseen future.

Once you over-convex the plug, your freeze plug is scrap metal. The idea is to flatten the plug. This causes the diameter to be at it's greatest possible dimension.

In a perfect world I'd make some hardwood dowels, a couple/few inches long with a diameter between 1/8" & 1/4" less than the diameter of the freeze plug I was trying to install, definately use some Permatex type 1A (hardening) Gasket Cement applied to the lip of the freeze plug hole in the block, and hammer the freeze plug just slightly before flat.

In the real world, I used the ball-peen method twice, then switched to using a 1-5/8" socket on a 1-7/8 freeze plug.

You know what they say..."Three's a charm".

Have fun,

Hank :)

HanksEngine.jpg

P.S. The upper left developed a leak, the lower right looks almost flat as I would do if (and I hope I don't) I had to do them again.

Edited by HanksB3B

You basically don't want them to go past flat. I use a deep well socket with the drive end on core plug and hit the socket end. Yes, sealer is definitely a plus.

You basically don't want them to go past flat. I use a deep well socket with the drive end on core plug and hit the socket end. Yes, sealer is definitely a plus.

Ixnay on the ball-peen hammer.

dontknowitall. They are pricy like $3 and change in the states. What do Foster's cost down under. Maybe we could enter a free trade agreement?

Use the brass ones!

Hank