Will a modern starter fit my 230?

louie the fly

There must be an outfit somewhere is Australia that rebuilds starter and generator for cars. If not I can give you an address up here in Washington State that rebuilds those old starters and bet they have one sitting on there shelf. By the way my brother in law lives in Bendigo Australia is that near where you live???

There must be an outfit somewhere is Australia that rebuilds starter and generator for cars. If not I can give you an address up here in Washington State that rebuilds those old starters and bet they have one sitting on there shelf. By the way my brother in law lives in Bendigo Australia is that near where you live???

I have a friend that works for an auto electrical wholesale repairer. They do overhauls for the industry. Might have to go with one of the ones I've got by the sound of it as my original is basically beyond repair. Some parts are a bit hard to come by here & when you can find them, some people want the earth, and a couple other small planets, for them.

I live in South Australia, 40 minutes from Adelaide. Bendigo is a good 8 or so hour drive. Nice place with lots of gold rush history. I've been there a few times. They also have Australia's biggest swap meet there (I think it's still the biggest anyway).

Cheers

Louie

Louie.......have you contacted jim Robinson in Victoria?.......also exactly what year/model car do you have.......230's are not that common here in Oz......andyd

Louie.......are you sure you have a 230?........how long is your engine?.......23 or 25" ?.........andyd

I have a 12 volt, 1956 starter in my 1936 Dodge engine. 201, 218, or 230 have different stock numbers, but any should work. Here in the US, 1956 was the first year for 12 volt I believe. I believe the 1957 and up have a different length on the distance to the flywheel.

Louie.......are you sure you have a 230?........how long is your engine?.......23 or 25" ?.........andyd

Andy, 1954 Dodge Kingsway Custom D49/2. Yes, definitely a 230. 23". Original engine in car (55k miles) & have the owner's handbook stating 230.2 cu in. Haven't spoken to JR about a starter at this stage as I thought I could use one of the old ones I have. Just was wondering if a more modern starter might fit.

Louie

Louie, I have a 41 Plymouth Coupe, 201 cube 23" engine, its been converted to 12 volts and it uses a 12 volt starter which would have come from a later engine............is yours still 6 volts or 12?.........I've never compared a slant 6 or hemi 6 starter to a Flathead one but it might be possible to modify/swap the stater bodies, etc.........I'd be talking to JR as he may have more info........also maybe try Les Sonter in Sydney.........andyd

The reason why 1956 starters will not work on a 1957-61 or 1962 and up model is the number of teeth on the ring gear. And, along with the tooth count, the pinion on the starter differs to match the tooth spacing.

(Canadian-built 1962-65 6-cylinder models used the same starter and ring gears as the 1961 models.)

Bill

Vancouver, BC

I'm going to hit the shed again on Sunday and take a few measurements. Was going to go up tonight but it's too cold. I've got a starter & flywheel off a 201 that I was going to fit, and probably still will.

andyd, it's 12 volt.

BTW, I'm looking for a 52 - 56 parts car near Adelaide. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Louie

Louie, thats unusual as I thought 201's finished in 1941, and 12 volt here in Oz didn't arrive till 1954......my P11 201 engine has a 12 volt starter but its from a mid 50's or even possibly a Chrysler Royal as far as I know.........have you thought of joining the Sth Oz branch of the Chrysler Restorers Club?.........seriously.......both my cars are hotrods but its always good to try & curry favor wherever possible........lol.......andyd

andyd, sorry, I think I've crossed some wires and maybe confused some. I'll explain (so I know what I'm talking about...

My 54 Kingsway has a 230 and it is 12 volt. According to my 46-53 service manual 53 was the first year of 12V, and with + ground. My Owner's manual also confirms that it is a 230 with 12V (D49-2). Mine has been "converted" to - ground.

The other flywheel I have is off a 201. The starter is also off the 201 but is 6V. I am just going to run the starter at 12V -G, as I was told by my autoelec rewinder friend that it will be OK because the 6V windings are a lot heavier than 12v windings.

I have thought about joining the Chrysler club, but I wasn't sure how they feel about us hot rodder types. I was in a rod club before but lost interest because of the politics.

Louie

Louie, all clubs have politics........just don't bother to vote..........lol.........I helped start the Chrysler Restorers Club here in NSW in about 1972/3.....I was the Modified Car Section.........pissed a few off, especially at the big combined club display days, but who cares, tho I eventually dropped out for a long time..........I just rejoined about 3 yrs ago, put "hotrod" & "restored" against both car listings and waited for the **** to hit the fan, so far, no blades turning so I'm still a member.........I suppose they are now going by the motto of "purifying my money by the use they put it to".........lol....andyd

Well, I went up to my "south pole" of a shed tonight with my son (it is 3° outside). He was working on his pushie so I did a bit of digging around. Found that the starter of the 201 is probably a later model (and possibly 12V). It is an Autolite MAW-4011-A17-S000684. It has the starter relay on the starter. Any ideas what it's off? Maybe a Chrysler Royal AP1? The other starter I got with that 201 was for something else. Had a funny little oval badge with writing in it. Ford or something?

Louie

Louie, just checked the spare starter I have, it was with the car when purchased, its definately 12volt as I've had it checked by a local sparkie & its a good spare........numbers on the id plate on it are as follows "MAW-4011 12PO 072672" and on the bracket that holds the solenoid to the starter case is stamped " 1118130" could be Royal...............dunno.......are you close to a sparkie who can check it?........andyd